PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Benson Guitar man
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: George Benson Guitar man Reply with quote

Im so disappointed. I had read this was going to be the album all his guitar fans had been waiting for. Just more laid back, smooth arangements, with no fire in his playing. Like a bad " Benson Klugh Collaboration". I guess this is just where George has settled in, and his real jazz days are over. Crying or Very sad YMMV and all of that.
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...that.

i too had really hoped for more. i love gb and have huge respect, but c'mon...let's get it outta the hot tub mindset for just a little while.
M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetguy wrote:
yeah...that.

i too had really hoped for more. i love gb and have huge respect, but c'mon...let's get it outta the hot tub mindset for just a little while.

Like the "hot tub mindset" phrase!

Yeah, I wish GB would pair each smoov' jazz release with a straight ahead release for the die-hard guitaristas. It's a shame to waste such phenomenal god-given talent and years of experience on only the lighter side of the spectrum.
cjm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much given up on George Benson. I'm more Bebop-->Hard Bop with a bit of West Coast mixed in as far as my taste (or lack thereof) goes, and while Benson did some of that, he always seemed too quick to follow the dollar off into something insipid.

Not that I don't sympathize: It takes money to live and nobody gets rich playing jazz. But some other people did manage somehow to stay true to their art and their body of work is more interesting to me.

I don't disrespect stockbrokers, truck drivers, and pharmacists. But unless that is merely their day job and they really tear it up at night playing jazz for the love of it (or the hell of it), then I'm not so inclined to respect their contribution as jazz guitar players.

Benson's day job has been popular music to entertain the masses, and while he has some good chops, that day job, in my opinion, had a "negative impact" on what little jazz he produced over the past half century, and I don't hold out much hope for a stellar late career.
Viper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he should make a record with Pat M. everybody else has.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
Benson's day job has been popular music to entertain the masses, and while he has some good chops, that day job, in my opinion, had a "negative impact" on what little jazz he produced over the past half century, and I don't hold out much hope for a stellar late career.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up!

I highly suspect what material he has released for a long time was to make some bank...and, if he stayed tried and true to the jazzy element would have never done nearly as well financially.

People do what they gotta do! I've known of way too many people who did something else to make money. An example that quickly comes to mind is Kenny Rogers. He made a killing off the country twanger market when in reality he is/was a darn good jazz bass player.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you think is George Benson's audience? Sorry to be crass, but, old white women? I don't really understand the market...possibly because I live in a place where there is so much artistic diversity and culture, I think the only person I've ever met that said they liked Benson's smooth stuff was my 92 year old aunt!
cjm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
Who do you think is George Benson's audience? Sorry to be crass, but, old white women?

Which part of that was crass? Old? Or white? Or the combination?

My mistake was long ago when I showed my wife how to use a rifle. But if it weren't for that error in judgment ...well let me put it this way: All the "Cougars" are using walkers from my perspective.

You see a 92 year old aunt. I see a hot older babe. Very Happy

That wasn't creepy or anything, was it? Oh well.
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to surprise me, the persistence of this desire for 68-year old George Benson to return to the playing of his early/mid 20s. by my rough calculation, it's been roughly 40 years since GB has released anything remotely resembling what folks here seem to want to hear again. I cherish my copy of "cookbook" and other recordings he made around that time, but realistically, that sort of purist jazz approach was abandoned by him so long ago I'm not sure it's even realistic to expect that he could pull off the same sort of thing now even if he wanted to. He's moved on, though I note that he does still use the guitar as a prop whenever possible, even though in the recordings he does put out, the guitar has very little to do with anything. I'm aware that others have an easier time with this. To my ears, his early jazz work was right there, just a marvelous expression. But when he turned his attention to pop music, not my taste at all. Ergo, my nostalgia for a "return" is perforce muted.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Yup! Wink

I believe his first so called 'smooth jazz' release was in '76 and it went triple platinum, followed by many successful releases resulting in many classic tunes most of because of their pop vocal nature and little to do with guitar.

So what was I doing 35 years ago? Pfft, sitting in a bedroom learning basic (now called classic) rock tunes having no idea who Benson was, let alone who he had been. So all things being relative, George is famous for what he has done since then and musicians with esoteric, elitist guitar playing ideals were likely the last thing he was worried about. Mr. Green

cjm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may just be the fact that George Benson is the only name non jazzers can usually think of.

When asked what I play, I tell most people, "Horrible crap and you wouldn't like it, because there's nothing to like about it."

But they often press on, to ask, "Yeah, but it's jazz isn't it, you know like George Benson? Oooh, I just love him. It's so relaxing. I could just mellow out for hours with a bottle of Thunderbird and George Benson, and it calms my gerbil too. Have you ever heard Chet Atkins?"

After years/decades of hearing nonsense like that from people who really think jazz is a sub genre of elevator music, a person might get to feeling as if Benson has a little bit of responsibility to either produce some jazz or to carefully explain to the public that he hasn't played any jazz since he was a kid.

I don't like it when Kenny G is associated with jazz either.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people ask me what kind of music I play, I typically either say "punk rock" or "I'm a singer songwriter, like John Mayer or Jack Johnson." Whether to respond with the former or the latter depends on which party I am at and what kind of clothes the girl I'm talking to is wearing.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
Have you ever heard Chet Atkins?

HEY!!! I respect chet! One of my old favorites is Chester & Lester from years ago, campy, silly but fun! Wink

cjm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up listening to Chet Atkins, and even more to Merle Travis...but contrary to Playboy's polls of best jazz guitarist, I never understood how anyone thought that was jazz (and I know you didn't either).

Mind you, with regard to this mention of Playboy, I never looked at the pictures. My interest was strictly in the sublime literary content. Naturally, from time to time, the magazine would fall open to the wrong page, and you would then pick it up sideways and some art work would tumble down...but I never looked.

I was too serious minded for that silliness.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:

Mind you, with regard to this mention of Playboy, I never looked at the pictures. My interest was strictly in the sublime literary content. Naturally, from time to time, the magazine would fall open to the wrong page, and you would then pick it up sideways and some art work would tumble down...but I never looked.

I was too serious minded for that silliness.

THANK YOU! Seriously! You gave me a badly needed genuine good laugh! Laughing Thumbs Up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: