PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Benson Guitar man
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It never ceases to surprise me, the persistence of this desire for 68-year old George Benson to return to the playing of his early/mid 20s."

i guess for me and i suspect many others still holding out hope it comes down to this....

ok, so george decided to go in the direction that yielded the bucks. ok. my guess is at this point he's pretty comfy financially. so, why NOT make an album (or three) of the good stuff? or as it was suggested above...make a hot tub album for the $....and then balance it w something a little more substantive.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetguy wrote:
so, why NOT make an album (or three) of the good stuff? or as it was suggested above...make a hot tub album for the $....and then balance it w something a little more substantive.

The simplest answer would likely be he doesn't want too? I highly doubt anyone is holding a gun to his head saying "you make a jazz album, you die!" He has the ability and the resources; my guess is he really doesn’t want to.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
planetguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He has the ability and the resources; my guess is he really doesn’t want to."

my guess too. Crying or Very sad
cjm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
planetguy wrote:
so, why NOT make an album (or three) of the good stuff? or as it was suggested above...make a hot tub album for the $....and then balance it w something a little more substantive.

The simplest answer would likely be he doesn't want too? I highly doubt anyone is holding a gun to his head saying "you make a jazz album, you die!" He has the ability and the resources; my guess is he really doesn’t want to.

I dunno. It's not like I've monitored his every move, but it's been years since I've heard him even attempt anything serious.

So he makes a real jazz album...and his chops aren't what they should be because he hasn't been playing jazz...the album invites comparison with some of the real masters...and oopsie: Legendary guitar god status evaporates.

When he was a kid and playing a bit of jazz back in the 1960's, he was not as proficient as some of the really big names...but nobody expected him to be because he was inexperienced. In fact, he was sort of remarkable for having achieved as much as he had by his twenties.

But now he is nearly 70 and I think most of us sort of expect that his playing would have evolved and matured over the intervening 40 years...but he hasn't been doing much of anything as a jazz guitarist that would hone his skills and tastes.

So maybe he doesn't do it because he thinks he can't.

I'm probably wrong, but it is something that just occurred to me when I read your post...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjm wrote:
So he makes a real jazz album...and his chops aren't what they should be because he hasn't been playing jazz...the album invites comparison with some of the real masters...and oopsie: Legendary guitar god status evaporates.

I had EXACTLY the same thought! We've reached an era where doing just about anything is more of a science. There's training and high end schools for just about anything these days. But I'd bet $$$ if Joe Pass were still around, he'd have a go at it! As ego goes, that man was very humble about his playing.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
planetguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously it's all nuthin but spec on our parts.....but if i had to bet on it...my money would be on GB STILL bringin' da heat.
cjm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope I'm wrong and that Benson could still wow us...if for no other reason than that this would leave open the possibility he might actually do it some day.

But I'm not holding my breath. And if he doesn't get it done within a very few more short years, he never will.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THough he hasn't put out a jazz record in a while, there are occasional youtube clips (also that lesson in his home?) that show him playing damn fine...
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if GB put out a "jazz' album, say on Blue Note, with a top-shelf rhythm section like Frisell did with Ron Carter and Paul Motian, playing standards with an archtop and a polytone, I can absolutely say with 100% conviction that I would not buy that record. Jazz ain't something you can phone in.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm always gonna have a difficult time forgiving him for the 80s disco crap. It's like everybody says about Lady Gaga. oh but she's so talented--she plays the piano and writes her own songs! wow ya think? yeah but she makes awful awful soul-crushing records, I say. but she's so talented! yeah GB is so talented that he made a million dollars for taking a giant steaming musical crap on the culture during the 1980s. IMO he's off the artistic roll call. "Give Me the Night" should have been called "Give Me the Money"... Cool
planetguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I can absolutely say with 100% conviction that I would not buy that record."

to each his own of course.

but for me the great music that GB made earlier on...those killin' albums that still give many folks great enjoyment and inspiration gets him a pass in my book.

it's not like he was into dog fighting, routinely beating up on woman, or bilked millions of dollars from hapless investors. now, THOSE behaviours might cause me take a pass.

i wish he hadn't gone the hot tub route....but any time that he returns to the path....i'd welcome it and happily plunk down my piastas for a copy.
cjm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratocasturbator wrote:

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm always gonna have a difficult time forgiving him for the 80s disco crap.

Well, yeah, but we all gotta' eat, and we've all either had to compromise something of importance...or we're going to...for the almighty dollar.

I've known some people who claimed to have never compromised, but they were either being supported by some one else, or were neglecting something, or some one, important...if you know what I mean?

So, I "forgive him" (as if it's my place to), but I'll just continue to ignore him until or unless he does something interesting.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that in these discussion no one ever considers that he actually digs the music he's playing. Maybe he does...
cjm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
I just realized that in these discussion no one ever considers that he actually digs the music he's playing. Maybe he does...

Are you suggesting some undiagnosed pathological condition at work here?
Tung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen GB at NAMM couple years ago. and he can still bring serious bebop chops. But to put out a serious jazz album? I have to agree that he doesn't want to, he CAN do it but it would take a lot of work for him.
Bebop= GB would have to do a lot of woodshedding, playing out and jamming to get ready for the recording, plus touring behind it.
Smooth jazz= more about production and studio time.
toddinjax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M"][quote="planetguy"]yeah...that.

i too had really hoped for more. i love gb and have huge respect, but c'mon...let's get it outta the hot tub mindset for just a little while.[/quote]

Like the "hot tub mindset" phrase!

Yeah, I wish GB would pair each smoov' jazz release with a straight ahead release for the die-hard guitaristas. It's a shame to waste such phenomenal god-given talent and years of experience on [i]only[/i] the lighter side of the spectrum.[/quote]

Benson has said in a filmed interview that he WILL make a (sic) "jazz guitar recording like he used to" !!!

As long as someone gives him the $3 million he'll lose in cd and ticket sales.
Man Up gentlemen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: