PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Benson Guitar man
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a funny story I read in some book like The Legendary Charlie Parker or Ben Sidran's book of interviews. There was Bird's piano player who was being interviewed. He told of someone coming up to play a gig with Bird. Bird called a tune and the kid nervously asked Bird what the changes were. Bird rattled off a set of chord changes, which are always the same changes he rattles off, having no relationship to the tune whatsoever.

Was Bird just pulling his leg or did Bird really not know his changes? I think the pianist didn't really know. But this was one of his regular pianists. I can't recall the name. I don't think it was Dodo Marmarosa.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines, here's an interesting tidbit I found on Chet Baker and his knowledge of theory.

"Baker said in a 1987 interview with biographer J. de Valk; "Well, I can't read chord sequences. I can play a melody line that is written down for trumpet. But chord symbols tell me nothing. For a time I went to instrument training class in junior high school. That was the only instruction that I ever had."

Russ Freeman talked about Chet's ability to read music in this 1990 interview.
"

The Freeman video is interesting.

Paul
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thats great about Chet Baker. I didnt know that.

Here's another one. Years ago some friends of mine were the band for Buddy Montgomery, vibist and brother to Wes and Monk, when he played a week in SF. Rehearsal for the first gig they're asking what he wants to play. Then they discuss keys. He just shrugs "It doesn't matter." He tells them just call the tune and he'll come in. They quickly established chords meant nothing to him. And they tested calling all kinds of tunes like Invitation and Stablemates in very unusual keys. Even though Monk played the melodies, chords and was the primary soloist he never missed a beat and played beautifully.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5D9dUuQuxQ&feature=g-all-f&context=G2403ca2FAAAAAAAAAAA

Anybody know when this took place?

Paul
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, not top form!
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
Ouch, not top form!

Yep, quite sloppy, definitely not his best stuff by a long shot. At least it's nice to see him playing this format. These videos look like they're pretty recent...maybe he's just trying to get back in shape??

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: