PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How come this place is so dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:

THIS is the sort of comfort zone I was hoping for here!

I for one need these sorts of comfort zones, because it helps make up for the angry scowls, hoots of derision, and the occasional thrown half empty bottle of Pinot gris that serves as a "shout and response" to my phrases -- whether I'm on the guitar or the upright bass.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"PaulD wrote:

Brian, I hope you know your efforts here are appreciated."

I completely agree with Paul Smile I`ve been a member on this forum for a long time, but I just haven`t had that much time lately to participate because of kids, lots of work, gigs etc. But I`ll try to participate a bit more Smile
planetguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"how come this place is so dead?"

i blame that planetguy doofus w his hand always out pestering folks for string labels! Laughing
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an old post that may kind of illustrate what I was feeling. Like 2004 or some on a thread questioning how to play bebop. It looked like the thread was fairly active with people giving their advice, some good some less good, and then jazz guitar great Henry Johnson gives a GREAT and humble lesson. Afterwards crickets. Finally someone said, 'That was Henry Johnson guys!' Nobody acknowledged or thanked him for contributing!

You know? Some of us jazz git box players are so insecure or something.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:

Yep, and I would attribute that to immaturity as a person and/or with the idiom. With the exception of a very, very few, every genuinely great player (not just guitar) I have ever encountered (Henry being one of btw), don't start or contribute to pissing matches, they really don't have anything to prove. But they all seemly love to vibe, and make music.

That's the thing I've often seen lacking in how many people *discuss* topic matter when they've never gigged a day of their life. It's not that gigging is a requirement but I'm sure you'll agree working with other people causes a vicarious education in how to cooperate, very much like family.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
I found an old post that may kind of illustrate what I was feeling. Like 2004 or some on a thread questioning how to play bebop. It looked like the thread was fairly active with people giving their advice, some good some less good, and then jazz guitar great Henry Johnson gives a GREAT and humble lesson. Afterwards crickets. Finally someone said, 'That was Henry Johnson guys!' Nobody acknowledged or thanked him for contributing!

I don't think it's insecurity, I think it may just be that many people didn't know who Henry Johnson was. I didn't until this post, today.
cjm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Johnson is a great player and has a great resume, but as JakeJew just illustrated ...Johnson doesn't have broad and immediate name recognition.

Plus this is also the "Interwebs" and has been pointed out many times anyone can be anything or anybody they want to be on a message board or chat room...that's one of the reasons the web got a reputation as being a dangerous place to allow children unsupervised access to...so there may have been some doubt in the minds of those who actually did recognize who Henry Johnson is and that his opinions should carry weight.

And then, Johnson is a performer and recording jazzer who operates in a fairly rarefied atmosphere compared to most of us, and as far as I know doesn't teach. What he says is right and true...but maybe not so relevant to the guy struggling to move beyond cowboy chords to apprentice jazzer (and who probably won't be able to move any further than that) than a contradictory approach offered by a teacher specializing in helping people up the first few rungs of the ladder.

Of course, I may be full of beans, and I had to use the search function to find that thread from back in 2005 before I ever found this site...but I wouldn't read too much into the cricket sounds that followed Henry Johnson's contribution.
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
I don't think it's insecurity, I think it may just be that many people didn't know who Henry Johnson was. I didn't until this post, today.

I agree with Jake. I didn't know who he was until reading this today either. Great, now I'm really insecure...I don't know all the players I'm supposed to!!! Shocked Very Happy

But seriously, I don't recall that particular thread, but no insecurity here, I'm a realist - I pretty much know what I can do and also my limitations on the guitar, which I actively work on to improve or learn. Also, because I don't charge people to hear me play, that frees me from thinking that I have to be at a certain level. If I were doing it for a living, then yes, I would probably be a little more insecure...

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's funny, PaulD, our resident troublemaker and ego maniac! Laughing Dude, you are so NOT in the behavioral grouping being discussed.

I honestly didn't know of Henry either until a few years ago when Mark Stephani introduced me. Henry's smooth, leans a tiny bit to the smooth side having a Benson like style at times but can swing like anyone.

To be totally honest and frank, I wish this place would have ended up having a bit more diversification to include the fusion and NGEN types. There's some great players out there and though some get mentioned now and again, not really a solid interest generally.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that Johnson example is based on my long experience in forums over the years. It's not just here. It's the nature if the Internet. But after some explained who he was it was still crickets.

And I DO think musicans in general are insecure.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
Well that Johnson example is based on my long experience in forums over the years. It's not just here. It's the nature if the Internet. But after some explained who he was it was still crickets.

And I DO think musicans in general are insecure.

I think you are right that musicians are, in general, insecure.

But I don't think that this insecurity necessarily manifests itself in "the sound of crickets."

In the case of that one thread from 6 years ago, perhaps insecurity played a role in the apparent disregard of a superb player's opinion. I can't say whether it did or not.

But overall -- I think that insecurity causes a lot of people to voice their own opinions in venues where they can present themselves as experts -- if expertise is not abundantly clear on the bandstand, then it will be asserted at the bar afterwards -- and today online forums have become the equivalent of the after gig drinking and bragging sessions that, well...

Bucky Pizzarelli could walk into a club, and there would be 14 wannabees clamoring to tell him, "Well here's how I do it."

It seems to me that this often drives traffic...doesn't dry it up. And so, while it may explain that particular thread...I don't think it explains the decline in participation overall.

What I'm saying is, I don't deal with my insecurity as a player by clamming up. I turn to strong drink instead. Very Happy
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Well let me try to explain a little more of what I actually mean. I've been a member of several music forums over the years: mostly audio engineering and musician forums. These are replete with "experts" who will never give their real names and hide behind postures. They give advice freely and often. Every once in awhile a true "bonifide" comes by and either sets the mater straight or just plain gives fantastic advice. What NORMALLY happens is a period of silence, as in a very active thread goes dead for 6 or more hours, or sometime followed by one or two "Oh My Gods!" Then there are a few, small minority, who actually attack the person -- "you're crap" kind of thing.

I'm not saying that's EXACTLY what happened here. I'm only saying maybe it is. It looks like that to me. A LOT of advice coming form all kinds of folk. A real bonifide comes. Either nobody knows, even though he kind of said, finally someone says who the bonifide is. Nothing. I think the insecurity came from all those people giving advice. Who knows how many lurkers there were? Doesn't matter. Everyone on the thread got notifications. I'm just surmising that the fake experts felt they were called out. Nothing further form the truth, but they couldn't back up their sometimes specious methods fo learning bop.

Bop is the HARDEST form of jazz to play, at least for me, and it takes A LOT of work and detail.

Damn. My wife says we have to go.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
LOL. Well let me try to explain a little more of what I actually mean. I've been a member of several music forums over the years: mostly audio engineering and musician forums. These are replete with "experts" who will never give their real names and hide behind postures. They give advice freely and often. Every once in awhile a true "bonifide" comes by and either sets the mater straight or just plain gives fantastic advice. What NORMALLY happens is a period of silence, as in a very active thread goes dead for 6 or more hours, or sometime followed by one or two "Oh My Gods!" Then there are a few, small minority, who actually attack the person -- "you're crap" kind of thing.

I'm not saying that's EXACTLY what happened here. I'm only saying maybe it is. It looks like that to me. A LOT of advice coming form all kinds of folk. A real bonifide comes. Either nobody knows, even though he kind of said, finally someone says who the bonifide is. Nothing. I think the insecurity came from all those people giving advice. Who knows how many lurkers there were? Doesn't matter. Everyone on the thread got notifications. I'm just surmising that the fake experts felt they were called out. Nothing further form the truth, but they couldn't back up their sometimes specious methods fo learning bop.

Bop is the HARDEST form of jazz to play, at least for me, and it takes A LOT of work and detail.

Damn. My wife says we have to go.

That's where I fit into forums like this. You cannot go wrong by rejecting any advice I offer, and by doing precisely the opposite of what I suggest.

In this way, I provide a valuable service by narrowing the search...I illustrate the musical dead ends -- by living them and advocating them -- and by this others may avoid them.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or blaming anyone. It's just an observation.

I've often wondered why more people don't go the extra mile to make people like this feel more comfortable, ask them questions, involve them courteously in the forms, rather than hide or attack. I would have done a little research and asked him questions, either about playing bop, or anything to his career. THAT could've helped this forum.

I remember when I first started, the first several years, I'd get my feelings hurt ALL THE TIME. Not that anyone else did it per se. I'd hurt my OWN feelings. But music can be such sensitive territory. It's so personal on one hand and so competitive on the other. And requires more work than arm chair fanatics are willing, too often, to put in. But god bless, mostly, the arm chair fanatics.

Insecurity comes with even many of the great players.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
cjm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
Hey, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or blaming anyone. It's just an observation.

I hope you don't think you upset me...I didn't think that's what you meant, but just in case...I like to think of myself as being the rear most part of a horse's anatomy.

It's sort of a point of pride. :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: