PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practice time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trotsky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier, finding me time is real issue right now..and that is as it should be with the kids and the family and all that goes with.
I am committed and have no regrets at all. I am blessed and if not having enough time to practice guitar is my biggest complaint then I think I am doing alright Wink

One of my greatest teachers used to say something similar as the above post about practice time.
'If you are practicing the right things and addressing weakness an hour straight of it should be exhausting'..or something like that..

Most of the time I spend on the instrument now is about me getting what I need from this music to make me the person I need to be.
Usually about expression and stress relief.. performing a piece to myself and the aquarium..( The Catfish hates the low notes Laughing )...20 mins here 20 mins there if I am lucky.
Very rarely I will get an hour or so to myself and that is when I put aside my soul needs ,break out the elbow grease and try to address the mechanical issues or , heavy harmonic stuff that kind of has to be forced at first before it becomes internalized and finds its way into my approach to playing.
The progress is satisfying with the latter but I wouldn't call it enjoyable...it is usually pretty humbling Embarassed
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point guys. I used to practice in focused, and sporadic opportune bursts. Meaning I'd still practice long stretches, but then would pick up the guitar throughout the day, when I was "finished." And I always practiced during commercial breaks. No more, after marriage and children though!

Now I can only really practice in the morning. I can't concentrate as easily later in the day.

What has helped me is pre-arrangeing my daily routine. I know what it is I'm working on tomorrow and set out to do it. I know the specific exercises, key, and I vary them every third day.

One point re Segovia's comment. I think one CAN concentrate for longer stretches, but yes. That's why I use a timer. Most people who brag that they're doing 8-10 hours a day are talking about a stretch of time they've DEVOTED to practice. That does not represent time with the guitar in their hands working some difficult physical guitar technique, I'd wager.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trotsky wrote:

One of my greatest teachers used to say something similar as the above post about practice time.
'If you are practicing the right things and addressing weakness an hour straight of it should be exhausting'..or something like that..

I think this is really true. Sometimes I get down on myself because I "only" get about two hours every day, but the fact is that I make those sessions pretty intensely focused, and honestly after twenty minutes of the kind of stuff I work on I usually need a break.

I find just running through tunes to be the easiest thing to do...an hour can fly by easily. Working out some voice leading pattern, mapping chord tones, or practicing sight reading can be pretty tedious to do for an hour straight, yikes.
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes an hour with the instrument not trying to play smooth semiquavers or whatever but just going through changes is good for you. Maybe its not practice but its good for your head, You could try Meditação by Tom Jobim. Very Happy Give yourself a break.
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a lot you can do away from the guitar. In the car, on the train, at the airport...I'm always looking for ways, visualizing the neck, trying to sing intervals, etc. I also have a pick with me all the time, which I play around with in my hand. Just holding it when I'm away from the guitar makes it feel very natural and comfortable, and I feel like I relax my picking hand more when I do play.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: