PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing the strap button on an acoustic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Removing the strap button on an acoustic Reply with quote

I'm looking at pickups for my acoustic VoyageAir guitar and have been considering the LR Baggs M1 active PU. I would want to install it with the endpin jack (as opposed to having the cord hang out of the soundhole), so I'm also trying to decide if I would want to do the installation myself or not since it doesn't seem too difficult. The one thing I'm not sure about is how to remove the existing strap button without damaging the guitar. It does not have a screw, and I can't tell if it's glued in or not. Does anyone know if these things are usually just pressure-fitted or glued in? Is there a safe way to remove it?

Thanks,

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to look for some examples of how it's fitted but failed. Confused

Most of the time there are only a few methods of fitting these, glue is rarely the case, they are :

* Screwed into wood, block backed (the button is the screw! into the body or through the body to a small glued blank) cheap method so to speak
* Set/compression screw (button is a screw going into a solid female piece, button is a female piece with threaded screw inside

To do anything without guessing, you'll need to look into the sound hole to see how it appears from the inside. If you can't see this point using a flashlight looking down the neck direction OR using a light and small mirror into the back of the sound hole.

This isn't a difficult modification but getting/reaching into the sound hole will probably be required. The best economical tool to help this task honestly is the hand and arm of a small child that can just stick it right in there!

Regardless, the M1 is a threaded post with the nut on the inside so you'll have to get a hand and/or tool in there. I've used 1/4 socket with extension to reach this far. They say no cutting but I suspect it'll require minor drilling..fwiw

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
PaulD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the reply Brian. It's an orchestra model with a small body, so I can't fit my hand in there far enough to tell, and can't see in the sound hole all the way to the back. I'll try the mirror suggestion and see. I've also written to the manufacturer to see if they can tell me. Once I have it off it's just a matter of drilling the hole larger, which should not be a problem.

Paul
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought the LR Baggs M1 active and decided against installing it myself because the guitar manufacturer told me they glued the end pin. I didn't want to damage the guitar, so I took it to the Chicago Music Exchange and the guy there did it while I waited for $25. The guitar still looks good and the M1 sounds great - I'm glad I got it.

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
I finally bought the LR Baggs M1 active and decided against installing it myself because the guitar manufacturer told me they glued the end pin. I didn't want to damage the guitar, so I took it to the Chicago Music Exchange and the guy there did it while I waited for $25. The guitar still looks good and the M1 sounds great - I'm glad I got it.

Paul

Glued, really? Well sounds like you went the right direction and it was a relatively cheap install, win from my POV. Wink

Probably completely changes your sense of the guitar being amplified?

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:

It sure does. My other acoustic is an Ovation and sounds very thin on the high strings and boomy on the lower strings when amplified. This one is very balanced and has great clarity and tone.

Paul
gnappi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
Gorecki wrote:

It sure does. My other acoustic is an Ovation and sounds very thin on the high strings and boomy on the lower strings when amplified. This one is very balanced and has great clarity and tone.

Paul

Congrats, it's cool when a project works out for you. I haven't met many Ovations that I liked, the few I did were not for sale, go figure Smile

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: