PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Come guys! I know SOMEBODY has something to say!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Come guys! I know SOMEBODY has something to say! Reply with quote

Let me see. I'm just chillin'. Still putting in my 2-3 hours in a day. Not actually learning anything new. Just working on my time, improv and technique. Will have our first rehearsal since December tonight. Looking forward to that.

What up gang?

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hereís whatís going on with meÖ

Now that Iím no longer traveling every week, Iíve enrolled in a jazz ensemble class at a local music school. Itís a great class - really challenges my reading skills.

My former teacher, Jack Cecchini, turned 75 last week and I attended his birthday party, which was actually a concert at his house. He had an amazing band and also several singers, and a few of his classical guitar students that performed. It was a great night of brilliant music and many memories for me.

Speaking of memoriesÖI attended GIT (now musicianís Institute) in 1977 when it first opened. I was in the 2nd class to ever attend, and Iím extremely excited about going the 35th year reunion next week. I canít believe that itís been 35 years! (although I would have hoped that after all those years Iíd be a much better player Sad Very Happy ). Iím really looking forward to seeing some of my classmates, as well as some of the great instructors. Ron Eschete, Don Mock and Joe Diorio were the teachers at the time and they will all be there. I think Ron Eschete will be performing. Joe Diorio had a stroke a few years ago, so Iíll be especially happy to see how heís doing. There will be several other players performing, including Larry Carlton and Pat Martino. I will also be attending a workshop led by Howard Alden. It should be a great time!

Paul
trotsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that does sound like a great time Paul.

Pretty busy being dad here on this end. My 'real' job has been taking up most of my time. We barely have enough people and the government isn't hiring which results in tons of Overtime being offered.
I am making hay while the sun shines as they say and paying some bills.
The extra scratch is always good but it is hard on my soul...the light at the end for me is a little bonus for dad..like a new guitar.
I had narrowed it down to an Eastman T185 but now am thinking that a flat top acoustic might kinda sweet.
Either way my practice time is minimal but I am still trying.
randalljazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm about halfway through my second year working from garrison fewell's two books--great stuff. also worked on cherokee today, getting a nice smooth comp, seeing how fast i can do it with the metronome on 2 & 4 without turning the beat around (not very fast, really Rolling Eyes )...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I could say Iíve been on glorious guitar adventures but I havenít. Iíve unfortunately been up to my eyebrows in IT related work, keeping family affairs moving forward with the hit & miss time working on my bikes. Iím really trying to back off on the wood shedding mentality as I have already spent most of my life doing it. In so many words I need to get out more so thatís what Iíve been attempting to do with limited success.

Iíve been patiently working my way toward racing expecting to graduate from track day events near the end of this season or start of the next. First things first, I still need to get my race bike put back together after I tossed it last season. Rolling Eyes

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing bikes must be really cool. I have always been a little spooked by them to be honest.
I currently commute back and forth to work in a 1997 Toyota Tercel..now that is a sexy ride that just screams virility Wink Cool
My wife gets the minivan...
MAN HOW DID IT COME TO THIS!!!!!! Laughing

Musically I have been working on expanding repertoire and solo...improv as opposed to working out any really rigid arrangements.
There really are some great tunes out there.

Last edited by trotsky on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trotsky wrote:
Racing bikes must be really cool. I have always been a little spooked by them to be honest.

It's quite liberating, fun as hell, scary as hell, a personal challenge. Definite reminder of being alive! The only place I know you can go well over 150 miles an hour and someone says "that wasn't fast enough...pin it sooner!" Bad things happen, I was out cold for a few minutes after tossing it in turn one at Summit Point last summer, but that's a result of my mistakes not the bikes.

Quote:

MAN HOW DID IT COME TO THIS!!!!!! Laughing

That's called parenthood, a faze of life I'm desperately attempting to get past. Only got one more teenager to GET OUT OF MY FREAKING HOUSE!

Quote:

Musically I have been working on expanding repertoire and solo...improve as opposed to working out and really rigid arrangements.
There really are some great tunes out there.

Good stuff man, just keep on finding new adventure in it! Thumbs Up!

Tung

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
Hereís whatís going on with meÖ

I attended GIT (now musicianís Institute) in 1977 when it first opened. I was in the 2nd class to ever attend, and Iím extremely excited about going the 35th year reunion next week. I canít believe that itís been 35 years! (although I would have hoped that after all those years Iíd be a much better player Sad Very Happy ). Iím really looking forward to seeing some of my classmates, as well as some of the great instructors. Ron Eschete, Don Mock and Joe Diorio were the teachers at the time and they will all be there.
Paul

Paul, that sounds like it's going to be an amazing time. I love Don Mock, his books have been great influence on my jazz trainning. Any good stories of GIT back in 77? Wink Don is such a great teacher and a monster player.
Some news on how Joe is doing will be great too.
Please post about your MI trip and have a great time there.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto you lucky dog! I'd love to hear all about it.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying my new second full time job, being a Dad.

Surprisingly, I do still have time to play the guitar.
ďFor the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.Ē

Andres Segovia
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Being a dad changed everything for me! For the better by a long shot. I was kind of a stay at home dad. The wife made more money (still does!) while I took care of the two boys in the day, before we found some great day care, friends for partial days. I could get my hands on the guitar still, but much less. But that was the great part. It wasn't about me any more.

Enjoy this time!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Jeff!
Parenting is quite an adventure but is without a doubt the most rewarding thing that I have ever done.

Last edited by trotsky on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
jokron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the inspiration...actually I wrote a tune called "Waiting":

http://www.jokron.se/Waiting.mp3

...and walking the memory lane back to the sixties and early seventies recording some of the songs I learned back then:

http://www.jokron.se/Houseinstr.mp3

But now I'm focussing on Bass since I have some gigs to come this summer as bassist...and struggling with computer problems, just made a total recovery on my studio PC...keeps my fingers crossed that it will work fine and not show any more blue screens...

Now I'm recording "All of me", maybe I'll share it in the coming weekend...

And congrats to parenting!!! That belongs to the past for me, but I'm a grandpa, having 12 grandchildren, a couple of them are interested in music...so that takes some time too, but really fun!!!

/Jokron

Miles Davis
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jokron wrote:
having 12 grandchildren

Oh my ????? That's just amazing!!!

jokron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
jokron wrote:
having 12 grandchildren

Oh my ????? That's just amazing!!!

Yeah, feels like I'm a millionaire!!! Very Happy

My oldest daughter have 5 boys and a girl, one of the boys plays bass in a punk band called Ball And Chain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKTRfGq62yk and I write and record music with another of the boys.

The other of my three daughters have four kids and the oldest girl has got piano lessons from me. The third daughter don't have any kids yet, but we have done some performance together...she's a good singer.

My son have two children that has shown intrest in music so maybe they like to sing and play with granpa in the future.

Grandchildren are the dessert of life, you can just have fun without the responsibility of parenthood.

Smile

/Jokron

Miles Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: