PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Come guys! I know SOMEBODY has something to say!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polly, I'm really sorry to hear about your Mom. My condolences to you and your family.

Too bad about The Landing closing...boy, that's a lot to go through - hope you are doing ok.

Paul
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I'm doing fine now. Hope all is well with you!
The Landing is being remodeled. It will no longer be the Landing. We hear it will reopen as a latin jazz club with music still on the Riverwalk patio. Hopefully we will return there. We work Tue. and Wed. at the other club that the new owners have. Cross fingers.

Got my "Benny" refretted. I had really ground 'em down. It sounds good but I'm trying to get used to a little higher action and brighter tone. Have to build up the hand strength a little.
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím playing in my companyís talent show next week. First prize is a trip for 2 to the Super Bowl in New Orleans. Iíll be performing ĎSpainí with a pre-recorded backing track. There are 7 other contestants, mostly solo singers (one act is 4 piece vocal group, and another a harpist). I donít really expect to win since Iím doing an instrumental and I think the average person seems to react more positively towards vocals. Still, it should be a lot of fun, and Iím really looking forward to it - especially because I play mostly at home (for medicinal purposes Laughing ) and donít get a chance to perform in front of people very often.

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome choice for a tune Paul! Too bad you couldn't manage another player because as a duet the tune has a lot of energy.

Company talent show? Superbowl tickets? Sheez!! The fly by night dog & pony shows I've worked for over the last decade a person would be lucky to get a birthday card with their name spelled correctly let alone actual activities!

Well, hopefully someone's recording it?!?

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
trotsky

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck paul...you are a great player and I love listening to you brother... Enjoy yourself.
Gene
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Awesome choice for a tune Paul! Too bad you couldn't manage another player because as a duet the tune has a lot of energy.

Company talent show? Superbowl tickets? Sheez!! The fly by night dog & pony shows I've worked for over the last decade a person would be lucky to get a birthday card with their name spelled correctly let alone actual activities!

Well, hopefully someone's recording it?!?

Thanks Gene and Brian. Back in 2005 the company had a bigger one in New York where Harry Belafonte was one of the judges. I played 'My Favorite Things' in that one but came in behind a guy that did a Neil Diamond cover Very Happy. I didn't win but it was still way cool - I got a free trip to New York out of it, and they had Lou Volpe and his band as my backup Cool.

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
I didn't win but it was still way cool - I got a free trip to New York out of it, and they had Lou Volpe and his band as my backup Cool.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! Razz

PaulD

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
... I donít really expect to win since Iím doing an instrumental and I think the average person seems to react more positively towards vocals.

Well...as predicted, a singer won the talent show. So I will be watching the Super Bowl on TV from home next year as usual Smile

Still, a really fun time, and got an afternoon off work to play guitar Cool.

Paul
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOOOOOO! Knuckle draggers are holding us down!!! BiteLip

Well, glad you got a little fun out of the deal. Cool

Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you know, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Good going!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, today is my mothers 90th birthday! I should be over there but I'm swamped with preparations for the final im giving in the History of Jazz class tonight. We're giving her a bash this weekend.

But I just launched my website. I'd been knuckle dragging for years. I had a hard time paying someone to do it. Finally LAST SATURDAY I decided to jump in myself. I put it up in two days!! It went up Sunday night! I've been adding a little every day. I never have done a website before. Fun, as long as ou have an easy program. No HTML for me!

It's in my signature!

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
trotsky

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for taking a shot anyway Paul... I am way too backwards myself ..and I think I miss out on a lot fun because of it,...at least musically.
Well done Cool
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice website, Henry!
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! You know to win one of those things, and I bet you could, you'd probably have to do Spain as if Niel Diamond were doing it. Or Michael Jackson. Obviously I don't know how you did it, but the average peep judging talent shows are judging showmanship as much as anything, and your average jazz geek has little to nothing of that. Sitting in a chair and playing a tune, no matter how good it is, just ain't gonna do it, I'd guess.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henryrobinett wrote:
Thanks Paul! You know to win one of those things, and I bet you could, you'd probably have to do Spain as if Niel Diamond were doing it. Or Michael Jackson. Obviously I don't know how you did it, but the average peep judging talent shows are judging showmanship as much as anything, and your average jazz geek has little to nothing of that. Sitting in a chair and playing a tune, no matter how good it is, just ain't gonna do it, I'd guess.

I played standing up. Yeah, it's funny...several people came up to me the following day at work with their suggestions; "you were great, but to win you should have played some ______" where the blanks were Zepplin, AC/DC, Rush, Satriani, etc. Whoever their favorites are. My wife had suggested beforehand that I play "Europa" instead, or something which may have been recognized by more people. It came down to 4 judges. The singer who won sang "My kind of town" to a karaoke track. Go figure... Very Happy

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: