PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinched Nerve in Neck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trotsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Pinched Nerve in Neck Reply with quote

Life can be really cruel sometimes crew...
Although in the grand scheme of things this is small potatoes.

So I just received my new guitar and I am jonesin huge to really buckle down in the shed however I have managed to pinch a nerve in my neck.

Funny thing is I have been working out and running like an insane fool. I have dropped about 15lbs and feel great other wise. I just woke up one morning and could hardly turn my head.

Guitar playing is out of the question for any length of time...1/2 hour tops..pain referred all throughout my back, top of head and finger tips...fun stuff...

The good news is that I am not having a heart attack and it is improving..today I have almost no symptoms...but I am afraid to move!! Rolling Eyes
..frustrating though...
The whole time my beautiful gee-tar beckons from the case Laughing

I just turned 43 and I suppose these types of things will become more frequent but I just thought I would bitch a bit to everybody here and see if anybody else has fought through this..I strongly suspect that playing the guitar is part of the problem.

Gene

Oh happy easter to those to whom it applies
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, if it persists more than a couple of days I would suggest seeing a chiropractor.

I know some people have had hit/miss experiences with this form of treatment but I've had this sort of issue and the cause is often because things are already compensating for something and one wrong move for the delicate balance causes muscle suffocation or stress.

Not knowing exactly where the ailment is, if it seems to be coming from one side of the neck or the other use your fingers on the opposite side and try to find neck/shoulder muscles that feel stiff/hard maybe even a little sore to the touch. Use your fingers or a finger in a rigid way and press into it, even with a slight jiggle back and forth (almost like string vibrato). You could very well find the counteracting muscle(s) and help put them to sleep causing some relief. If you do try this and it helps, absolutely see a chiropractor.

It's not age as much as repeated use/motion the body begins to compensate for, wearing a heavy guitar (Les Paul for example) with a strap is a classic example where the body compensates without us even knowing it's doing so. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
trotsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the tip and I am way ahead of you on that score brother!

I have two trips to my Chiropractor under my belt over the past week along with an hour with my massage therapist.

Her name is Bobbie Jo and she is a UFC fighter!!!
She scares me a little but she really knows her stuff!!

They both seem pretty dialed in to the issue and it is just as you described...repetitive use.

I credit them with the fast turn around. So far today has been a breakthrough day for me.

The new Eastman may help actually. It is way lighter than my other guitar and seems to have me playing it with better posture.

Much better balance.
trotsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And geez did I mention that this thing just sounds awesome??!!!!

Just put it down after playing it for about 20 mins...pain free btw..fingers crossed!!!
Rolling Eyes
......and I just can't get over what a great jazz tone it has...can't get over it.

Very happy initially...time will tell but I am kicking myself for not grabbing one sooner..
Bang for the buck is just off the chart...in shock a bit.
PaulD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you're on the mend, Gene! I was going to offer to look after your new Eastman while you convalesced... Smile. Glad you're getting to enjoy it and looking forward to hearing some clips Cool

I know how that pain thing goes. I have lower back issues that come up once in a while, fortunately not too often. I'm in pretty good shape and work out regularly, but one wrong move can lay me up for several days or more.

Paul
trotsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thx Paul..very frustrating but I seem to be on the mend.
I have some down time this week and hopefully I will be able to post something soon
Happy Easter
randalljazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoga.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awful. I've had a lot of nerve problems, best of luck.
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a drag Gene. But it looks like you're getting a handle on it. I've had some small back issues and stretches and chiropractic saved my bacon and guitar playing.

On an unrelated but semi-similar note, last Monday I had surgery. I had my thyroid removed. This kept me away form the guitar for about 4 days. And then I had to ease back into it. It was an unusually large benign growth on both sides making it advisable to remove the entire thing. I still have some bandages but no pain any longer.

This is the first time I've ever been in the hospital, for myself, let alone surgery, ever. So it was a little weird.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...glad you're ok, Henry!

Paul
Henryrobinett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! Doing fine. Back to teaching at my community college, even as I type.

Henry Robinett
www.henryrobinett.com
trotsky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geesh...looks like I am not the only one that has taken a few hits. Good luck on the recovery Henry.
It is actually comforting in a way to hear these things...hey we're all in this together!!
Randall...Yoga has been recommended by some co-workers as well.
It was kind of off my radar to be honest but the guys who brought to my attention are people I respect very much and to be honest I was surprised to hear the suggestion from them.
Once again my mind has been opened.

Always a good thing

I am day to day with this thing and it is frustrating...BUT COULD BE WORSE...god knows...

The guitar is awesome and screams at me from the case to PLAY IT!! Laughing

..now my Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue is popping fuses like mad so it goes in to the amp doc today...

If it isn't one thing it is another...AHHHH!!!!
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: old folks Reply with quote

I've been having right side neck pain too..

Oh No! Maybe we really are turning into old folks.
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Polly! It's great to see you back here! Yes, getting old is no fun (or so I've heard Wink )

Paul
trotsky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second that.

Great to hear from Jazzerchick and I hope all is well down at the Alamo and you are still active with the guitar playing.

It has been a couple of weeks now and I have been doing my exercises and stretching religiously. Seems to be helping.

My posture when I play is better now...that too could be helping..but I still can only play for about 45 mins to an hour at a time....which is enough for me.

Gets me wondering though...for someone who depends on this for a living it could be a helluva problem....glad that is not me.

As it is, I work in Law enforcement and carry a duty belt 12 hrs a day complete with firearm and the full catastrophe...adds about an extra 20lbs at least....not helping either Confused

Anybody own a time machine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: