PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guitar...Joe Pass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greentone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: What guitar...Joe Pass? Reply with quote

I was listening to Joe Pass on the old Pacific Jazz disc, on his chart "But Beautiful." He was playing an acoustic archtop. It sounds like an Epiphone, but does anyone know what he played for that session? Later on, he played Gibson and D'Aquisto acoustic archtops on some recordings. Just askin'.
randalljazz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to wolf marshall, joe played an ES 175D from 1963 through the early '70's.

however, if your version of "but beautiful" is from catch me!, then it is either a fender jazzmaster or jaguar solid body, odd as that seems. several tracks from catch me! also featrure joe on a fender bass VI six string bass guitar.

gonna have to get this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Catch-Sessions-Joe-Pass/dp/B002MJM8KW[/i]
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. It's definitely an _acoustic_ archtop guitar--not a Fender Jazzmaster or Bass VI. Having played Gibsons, Epiphones, and D'Angelicos (my first guitar teacher played an old sunburst Excel), I would still say that the guitar _sounds_ like an old Epiphone Deluxe.
gnappi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greentone wrote:
Nope. It's definitely an _acoustic_ archtop guitar--not a Fender Jazzmaster or Bass VI. Having played Gibsons, Epiphones, and D'Angelicos (my first guitar teacher played an old sunburst Excel), I would still say that the guitar _sounds_ like an old Epiphone Deluxe.

I have a video with him using an Ibanez. It was a loaner (he said so) so it's unclear if the factory loaned one like he had, or the recording studio rented or obtained it on their own.
randalljazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to confuse the matter further:

clearly a 12 string flattop
greentone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I really unleashed all kinds of ideas about what Joe Pass played on. Oops!

I have been studying Pass' playing for years and years. I have lots of books, pictures, videos, records, CDs, MP3s, etc. I can trace all kinds of changes in his equipment. His playing is pretty fully developed over the course of his career. About the only noticeable change is that he lost the pick in favor of the use of the fingers of his right hand.

I love the 12 string picture. During that period (1960s) every big jazz guy was told by his label that he had to play some 12 string in order to sell records. [As if anything was going to sell instrumental jazz records in any significant numbers by the 1960s.] I have Barney Kessel, Joe Pass, Herb Ellis, Tony Motolla, and Howard Roberts all doodling with the 12 string guitar during that period. I have never read where any guitarist thought any of these cuts was a favorite of his.

FWIW: if you go back and listen to _all_ of Joe Pass' music, I think you will find that his best work was cut with his ES175 that was given to him by an enthusiastic fan in 1963 when he got out of drug rehab. He used that guitar solidly over the next 15 years and it really suited him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: