PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwing some "not jazz" to the vultures...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Post Your Music and Video For Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Throwing some "not jazz" to the vultures... Reply with quote

Well you guys aren't really vultures, but the internet in general...

Getting a little burnt out on jazz I've started a new project that I'm excited about.

I play solo guitar, all completely improvised, short pieces and short sets. No tunes, no standards, no premeditated melodies or anything, though I have some strategies for structuring the pieces.

I've done five shows so far and have posted full recordings of four of them here, plus some shorter clips of sections I liked: http://soundcloud.com/dont-come (edited out the applause and between-song banter_

Just recorded with an iPhone in the back of the room, sorry for the sound quality.

Anyway, I know this won't be everybody's cup of tea, but I'm excited about it and pleased to have something new to work on, so I thought I'd share...
trotsky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake
This is really listenable and right up my alley currently. I wish I could have been there to hear it in person.
Very Beautiful sounds.

At the risk of being 'That Guy'..lol..whats your gear??

Really mournful tones

Gene
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trotsky wrote:
Hey Jake
This is really listenable and right up my alley currently. I wish I could have been there to hear it in person.
Very Beautiful sounds.

At the risk of being 'That Guy'..lol..whats your gear??

Really mournful tones

Gene

hey Gene! Thanks for listening and thanks for the kind words.

Guitar is 1976 Ibanez Artist solid body:

set of 11s but with a 12 on top, for all sets was tuned down two whole steps: C, F, Bb, Eb, G, C

amp is a polytone mega brute with the reverb maxed out

the only pedal is a boss FV-50 volume pedal, but I haven't been that happy with it and am thinking about upgrading to a better pedal.

Given how low I tune I've been considering getting/using a bass amp and maybe buying a nice reverb unit.
trotsky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats neat... I never would've guessed.
Sounds good.

Good for you for having the courage to put it out there...I don't have it in me Rolling Eyes
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's really cool. I can see you getting more into some delays and reverbs with this, maybe even some loops...it has kind of an "ambient" quality.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's really cool. I can see you getting more into some delays and reverbs with this, maybe even some loops...it has kind of an "ambient" quality.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for listening and the compliment Jeff.

Yeah it definitely is ambient. I was practicing this stuff on a flattop acoustic before doing the shows but there isn't a way to amplify the acoustic that I am satisfied with and I just stumbled upon the detuned-reverbed-solidbody thing as something that also felt comfortable. Oh, on one of the shows posted (7/17 I think) I actually am playing my stratocaster for the whole show, also detuned.

It would be cool to play through a bass amp and get some high end reverbs and maybe even eqs and such, not sure where I'm going to go with it.
PaulD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Jake! I really like the color you're getting from tuning down like that. That deepness really compliments the harmonic textures you're creating.

Paul
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
Very cool Jake! I really like the color you're getting from tuning down like that. That deepness really compliments the harmonic textures you're creating.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

next step is just setting up more of these shows. For some reason it's easy for me to find the motivation to practice, but the booking stuff...
steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Jake.

I particularly liked Uncle. Had to go back for a second listen to that one. It really worked, and dare I say it, brought Ben Monder into my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing them.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:
Very nice Jake.

I particularly liked Uncle. Had to go back for a second listen to that one. It really worked, and dare I say it, brought Ben Monder into my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks Steve!

Uncle was from the most recent set. When I've listened back to sets I've sometimes wished I had more blunt melodies, as I have a tendency to maybe just play ringing arpeggios or color chords a lot, so on the last set I was trying to be clearer about the melodies, I think that one has the most melodic content as opposed to just being textural.

My favorite of all of them is the one all the way at the bottom, "II." Somehow it came out very structured, and I discovered a couple of interesting ways to include both a b9 and a 9 on a maj7 chord in the process. This has been really fun!
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was trying out his new camera at the last show.

Wasn't my favorite performance, but the first time I've seen myself playing guitar in such high def. make sure to watch it in HD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=14SSuTbkuMA#!
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice Jake! Very enjoyable, great sound.

Paul
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Nice sounds ! Enjoyed it.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks paul and jazzerchick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Post Your Music and Video For Review All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: