PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Lesson topic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamminJimbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Possible Lesson topic Reply with quote

Chris,
I have been playing for a long time and love your masterclass material. It really helps me play more melodically. One area where I would love some help is in breaking bad habits when it comes to picking technique. I was taught to anchor my right hand to the guitar using my pinky finger on the pick guard. I tend to find this very limiting and restrictive at times. Any suggestions on where to go to find picking techniques and drills that will give me better dexterity and allow me to play faster, cleaner lines?

Thanks,
Jim
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Picking Reply with quote

This is a great subject for a lesson and I'll keep it in mind. Few players have discussed this subject in depth and I guess one of the reasons is that so many players don't really know exactly what they are doing, they simply just do it. Most players seem to concentrate on their fretting hand and hope that their picking hand comes along with it.

I do know that I personally had quite a block about picking and couldn't get rid of the tension in my right hand. And I would rest it on the bridge of the guitar. Then a friend of mine who was a great jazz guitarist told me that "you can't run if someone is holding your legs". So I learned to pick without resting my hand on the saddle. This was extremely difficult and it's a lot easier to do with an archtop guitar. It has become quite natural now. Electric guitars need to be tamed more so damping the strings at the saddle can help.

So I can't recommend a book as I don't know of one. A private lesson or two might help you but choosing the right teacher is key. I would research some great technicians on youtube. Pat Martino has a pretty legit picking hand, although he would tell you that is his weakest link (go figure!). Lee Ritenour has a great right hand technique.. It's a tricky area as most players are lazy about it and do what seems to work for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: