PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warm Up Routine #1 - last bar & fingering?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindsayward

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Warm Up Routine #1 - last bar & fingering? Reply with quote

Hi. I've been getting the first warm up routine, page 3, under my fingers and in my brain (making sure I understand the arpeggios), but I can't figure out the last bar. I guess it's got some chromatic notes in it to get us back to the starting point, but I'd like to know if there's anything more to it than that. Could these have been any other 8 notes (within reason)? I'd appreciate some explanation of these, thanks.

Also, for the first two bars where we come down the 7b5 arpeggio, I can't see why we would finger it 1 3 2 1 instead of 1 4 3 1 so you don't have a tone stretch between fingers 2 and 1. The last bar fingering is really wacky (3 1 1 4 4 3 3 4) to me.
I expect you might say that I can play it that way if it feels easier, but I like to see if there's anything better I can do (that's why I'm doing the course!) so is there a reason this is a better fingering?
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Fingering issues Reply with quote

The fingering for the very last bar of the first warm up exercise is incorrect. I'll fix it in an update really soon. Meanwhile you can simply use this fingering which is how I played it. The notes are correct however:

3 1 1 4 3 1 1 4

Regarding the fingering for the first two bars. The answer is yes, your way would be a perfectly good and appropriate way to play the phrase and in my formative years as a classical guitar student, I might have opted for that first. However, the way I have fingered it (the way I played it on the video) is also perfectly fine and seems to be the most comfortable way for me to play it.

Hope that helps.

Chris
lindsayward

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris. Thanks for the reply.

Do you have a comment about the choice of notes so I can try and understand these - or if they're just ones that sound good to you and don't exactly map out any chord or scale, it'd be useful to know that so I don't keep looking for something that's not there.

If I could ask what I believe is an important question about fingering (one I've wondered about before), it's about using the same or different finger when playing the same fret on two different strings - e.g. in warm-up #1, bar 3 going from C (G string fret 5) to E (B string fret 5) you change from 2nd to 3rd fingers, but I would usually play this by flattening my 2nd finger.
Is there something from your years of experience that you can explain why you use different fingers for this?
I would really appreciate hearing your comments on this, thanks!

While you're updating fingerings:
In warm-up routine #3 the last note has fingering 1, which I believe should be 3 based on your video.

Thanks again.
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: warm ups Reply with quote

the note choices are always based on lines I might play in an improv setting. The 1st warm up is clearly based on 2-5 patterns. Warm up #2 is a diminished scale, great for playing over dominant b9 chords. Warmup #3 is a major pattern that descends with a little b5 twist. All these things are usable in a playing situation if you wanted to adapt them. But the real purpose is to get your fingers moving.

Thanks for the fingering typo in the last warm up. This will be fixed in a new update v. soon.

Chris
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

...and yes, I forgot to address one of your questions. Regarding using your second finger to bar two notes. Absolutely, this is a personal preference. I might do this too, it just so happened that I chose not to at the time. Both are good fingerings.
lindsayward

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply Chris. I'll try not to ask too many questions Smile

My question about the choice of notes is only about the last bar in the first warm-up. I do understand the arpeggios in the rest of it, but then the notes in the last bar don't fit anything I understand. That's why I'm asking. If there's more to it than just what sounded good to you, please let me know. I'm keen to learn; otherwise I'll just leave it and move on.
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: warm up #1 Reply with quote

It's a diminished line. As you know diminished lines sound good over dominant 7th b9 chords and this is a way to get back to the top of the sequence.
lindsayward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I had been thinking this last bar was over the next chord (Dm7b5) instead of the previous/current chord - since there's no chord change, the last chord, F7b9, is still held.
I see now that all of the notes in the last bar are from a Gb diminished scale.

Thanks again - that's what I was hoping for - some "theoretical" understanding of why these notes were chosen. I'm pleased we got there Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Jazz Guitar Video Masterclass" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: