PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sight reading exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you continue Book 1 without mastering the sightreading exercises.
Continued without mastering sight reading exercises.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Continued without mastering but still practice them.
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Did not continue until sight reading exercises were mastered.
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

bluestraveler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Sight reading exercises Reply with quote

I an an intermediate player. Cool Chris Standringer recommended I start with his GMS simple course because I was unfamiliar with some of the more technical aspects of guitar playing - sight reading for one. I have now spent 3 weeks on the sight reading exercises in Book 1. I use them to warm up for my regular practice routine composed mostly of songs taught by my teacher. I spend maybe ten minutes a day on the sight reading exercises. I was wondering how many others stalled on the sight reading exercises until they had mastered themand how many continued without mastering them. Is there a penalty for going ahead with Book 1 without knowing the sight reading Question
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to believe what Chris is attempting to enforce with sight reading is no different than that required of students in ANY other traditional melodic instrument. Music notation is the written language of musicians and should be equally treated as required education, if you can't read, you will be less likely able to 'communicate' with other musicians while attempting to play unfamiliar / not memorized material.

Piano, sax, horn...etc students/players educational process REQUIRE reading and understanding of music notation as part of their curriculum. Unfortunately guitar most specifically with its modern applications has drifted away from this traditional music education and in turn produce a substancial amount of people who are less of musician's than their more traditional counter parts (Piano, sax, horn..etc).

So, in my opinion, the 'teaching' of guitar without the 'teaching' of music's means of communication does the musician a large disservice long term!
The Laughing Buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Stalled... period.... Reply with quote

I got started on the sight reading just before relocating from California for Virginia and have not picked it up since. I'm working with a teacher to "un-do" some bad habits and get rid of some tightness while playing. I'll pick up sight reading again soon.

So much to learn, so little time...

http://cloudshadow.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: