PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm back, 2 years of studying..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Marco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: I'm back, 2 years of studying.. Reply with quote

Hi... please disregard any old posts I've made. I've been researching and studying music theory (major scale) -as it relatets to my guitar fretboard-

all I can say is, along the way I have made some amazing discoveries!

Thanks to lot's of studying a fretbaord interval chart...then creating a chart of my own that helped me visualize what to do, and then some great little tips found on a victor wooten video... I have unlocked the fretboard under my fingers. I 'see' a master pattern in my minds eye.

I'm no longer noodling inside one mystery pentatonic box, I can go up down left and right at will. (major scale..and the modes)
(by major scale- of course I mean major / natural minor, and the modes of it)
I have even come up with my own super easy way to be able to say.."Any mode, any anytime" if I need an Eb Mixolydian, followed by ( pick any mode, in or out of Key) and I'm there.

With an understanding of the parent scale under my fingers, I now know all the strange/tasty/outside color notes.. and can experiment with them.

Now it's more about using my ear.

Playing is as enjoyable as ever. Improvising is possible, along with composing. Modal jam tracks, and thing's that modulate is what I like to jam along with now.

Now as far as jazz... oye..

Here's a wierd one... if you like numbers patterns and music...

I arranged a line of numbers. The numbers were the numbers of shared notes between keys. ie; R,2,5,4,3,6,2,6,3,4,5,2. (that corresponds to R,b2,2,b3,4,b5,5..etc..)

I put the numbers in a symetrical circle with the root on top and traced a line connecting the 3 close keys. (an 'up' triangle) and the 3 most distant keys (a 'down' triangle) and as you might be able to visualize...that creates the star of david.

wacky I know..
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm back, 2 years of studying.. Reply with quote

New Marco wrote:
Here's a wierd one... if you like numbers patterns and music...

I arranged a line of numbers. The numbers were the numbers of shared notes between keys. ie; R,2,5,4,3,6,2,6,3,4,5,2. (that corresponds to R,b2,2,b3,4,b5,5..etc..)

I put the numbers in a symetrical circle with the root on top and traced a line connecting the 3 close keys. (an 'up' triangle) and the 3 most distant keys (a 'down' triangle) and as you might be able to visualize...that creates the star of david.

wacky I know..

Hey Marco, welcome back to the real world. I'm amazed you've stumbled on to something a guy named Rolf Carl and I were working with / trying to prove almost 25 years ago!

First off, you're not crazy. Now take that same circle making the shape of a star, then invert that star. The star is all light/positive/in tones when used, inverted is dark/negative/out tones and ironically creates the pagan symbol.

Our research showed that music creation through mathematics is not only plausible, it's darn near mystical. Tonal structure defined by and proven with geometry and phrasing defined by and proven with trigonometry. The part I never got to was converting the 2D math into 3D math and integrating Pi.

I wrote complete compositions using these methods years ago and the results are mindboggling! Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
New Marco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. hanks for the re-assurance.

I'm super intrigued by numbers and patterns and how they show up in wierd places like the Fibonacci sequence and such.. As I started watching documentaries on the stuff, I began to really have fun finding patterns on the fretboard.. and getting it all understood in a musical sense.

Neat stuff. Finding new surprises everyday is the payoff..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: