PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does this resolve so well to my ear..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Marco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Why does this resolve so well to my ear.. Reply with quote

I'm stumped on this.. I can't figure out why this resolves so well..

Play a C# Maj 7th chord on the 5th string. Then the standard Cminor chord a half step down, then a cowboy F major or even F7 on the 6th string.

Nice resolve.. But Why? the C#Maj7th chord doesn't fit if the F is considered a 1.

But if you consider it a 4th It works as a 1, b7(minor), 4... but could a 4th provide the resolve I'm hearing?

I tried playing some F lydian based lines over the progression and it didn't work. F mixolydian seemed to have better choices.
New Marco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: have an idea, I think.. Reply with quote

Well, I noodled around a bit with it, and have come up with something..

I -think- I'm dealing with a IV maj7, to a iii, that should be resolving to a, vi minor chord.

I played that and my ear soon grew accustomed to the sound, and found pleasing resolve. And It makes more sense in a major/minor harmony sense.

I switched back to the major ending chord.. and still liked it.

What I think I'm up against here is a device, the Major instead of minor swap. Sound right to you??

This quirky sequence came from a Steely Dan Song. It's the tail end of a much larger progression found in the song, "King of the world"..

There's a really odd, maj7 chord to minor chord chromatic descent that resolves nicely to a major chord. in this case an Fmaj.

Last edited by New Marco on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: