PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stage setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: stage setup Reply with quote

hi everybody this is my first posting I'm looking for advice on stage set up. we hear each other fine in practice, and playing outdoors this summer taught us to put the guitar amps up on chairs . however noisy clubs are a different matter last night in the middle of the second set all I could hear was the other guitar, we set the amps be hind us and to the side but his ended up right in my rar until we moved it at the break. we also know we would like to be able to see each other so we try to set up for that when possible . any thoughts on this subject will be appreciated thanks bob b
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have much constructive to offer here, except to say to be mindful of your midrage. When I did my first performances I had a tough time hearing myself and my teacher at the time informed me that it was probably because I was keeping my midrange at like 0!

Midrange will affect how well you cut through the noise.
jokron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best solution will be a powered monitor on the floor in front of you. The monitor can be either fed with a micked up signal from your amp, or from a monitor/speaker output or taken out of the PA-system if you're using one...

I think it's also important to adjust your EQ and as JakeJew said, it is probably the midrange that needs to be increased, the bass and treble will probably drown in the basdrum and bassguitar sound and the treble in the cymbal- and hihatsound from the drums. It can also be a little tricky to get a balance between the piano and the guitar since they ofte play in the same frequency range...

Some advanced guesses from

Jan Olof
bob b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: stage set up Reply with quote

thanks, the mid range info works well I really hear the difference. I wonder if there has ever been any thing written about the subject of putting the small combo on stage , like the bass goes here the amps etc etc. or is this all oral tradition?thanks again for the input bob b
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: stage set up Reply with quote

bob b wrote:
I wonder if there has ever been any thing written about the subject of putting the small combo on stage , like the bass goes here the amps etc etc. or is this all oral tradition?thanks again for the input bob b

Dealing with a small combo is usually pretty simple but from what you've described isn't a small combo and more of a group that should be using stage monitors. Unless you play the same place(s) relatively frequently there isn't much value in trying to accommodate or compete with the acoustics of the environment. Stage monitors make live work far more controlled from place to place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: