PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telecaster Neck P/U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Telecaster Neck P/U Reply with quote

This is my first post.

I have used the same 1971 Fender Telecaster for years. An old maple neck which I just can't part with. While I have since replaced the original bridge p/u with a Fender Texas Tele, the neck p/u is original.

I can safely say I have never played much on the rhythm pickup of a Tele but I was thinking of giving it a try for some Jazz.

Any tips out there for a newly christened Jazz lover on using a Telecaster without a humbucker in the neck position. I currently play through a Marshall DFX 25.

Also looking for any advice on budget archtops just in case...Ibanez Artcore, Oscar Scmidt, Epiphone etc.

Thank you
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello B,

I would suggest going into another guitar before modifying the Tele any further. It's a good guitar and I expect you will not be able to get a full jazz sound without heavy modification.

As for arch boxes you're looking in the correct direction. Note my experience with Oscar Scmidt was far less than good. I picked up one of their 335 styles and it's a total piece-o-cha cha. Expect to make a trip to the local guitar shop to play with some arch's. Also, Yamaha makes a Mike Stern model tele style with a hum in the neck as also Fender (import) has a dual hum neck through 24.75 scale (yes a tele-paul if you like).

Now don't go messin with that tele any more or I shall taunt you a second time! Laughing
Big Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that quick response. I will keep my Tele intact.

I appreciate the tip on Oscar Schmidt guitars too...I just saw them in a Musician's Friend brochure.

I have been playing guitar for about 35 years, learned to read through Mel bay but played mostly Rock and Country. I have rediscovered the beauty of a II, V, I progression and chord harmony and want to sound my best on a budget.

Looking forward to posting in the future.
digijazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your budget is around $400-$800 theres a lot of good choices for a first jazz archtop nowadays.

I like the Epiphone range - Epiphone Dot, Emperor Regent, Zephyr Regent, Joe Pass, BB King Lucille & now an ES-175 copy to name a few...

I saw a really nice budget archtop on e-bay called a "D'Aspiranta" and it was an exact dead-on copy of my D'Aquisto New Yorker just going by the photos but made from laminates & rosewood parts instead of ebony bits like most budget boxes are... ... Laminate guitars can still sound pretty decent. The reviews in harmony central were also encouranging on the D'Aspiranta .

Look also at Washburn & Ibanez artcore ranges also. Washburns J6 is a nice Gibson L-5 clone.

Most of these boxes with a bit of tweaking and $50-$100 spent on a decent neck pick up can usually be transformed into very nice sounding instruments that you can keep long term and gig with.

I agree that its best not to butcher your Telecaster as it is because its really sweet guitar that still has its uses in certain jazz situations as well as of course being an outstanding guitar for most other styles too.

I saw a Diana Krall concert on DVD, and her guitarist Anthony Wilson (incredible player...check him out !!) did half the set on a gold-top Les Paul Deluxe and sounded just great.

A large part of the sound comes from the player himself as well as the guitar also so dont rule out the solidbody either. Good luck in your search and keep us posted on how you go.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at just about any other online guitar forum- do a search and type in the words "tele" and "jazz", and you'll find that the Telecaster is one of the highest regarded solidbodies for getting jazz tones on, even with the stock neck pickup. I'd grab one over a Les Paul for jazz tones, if that means anything.
ntgr8

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Telecaster Neck P/U Reply with quote

Big Man wrote:
I have used the same 1971 Fender Telecaster for years. An old maple neck which I just can't part with. While I have since replaced the original bridge p/u with a Fender Texas Tele, the neck p/u is original. ... Any tips out there for a newly christened Jazz lover on using a Telecaster without a humbucker in the neck position. I currently play through a Marshall DFX 25.

Also looking for any advice on budget archtops just in case...Ibanez Artcore, Oscar Scmidt, Epiphone etc.

Thank you

As for your Tele, you can get a pretty convincing jazz tone out of the Tele stock rhythm pickup. You can try replacing it with a Seymour Duncan Tele Rhythm stack humbucker that requires not routing. Lindy Fralin made the pickups for Danny Gatton's Tele. I suggest the Duncan because that is the one I use.

As for inexpensive archtops: I recommend the Carlo Robelli D-120 sold by Sam Ash Music. It is a knock off of a D'Aquisto Manhattan like Jim Hall uses. Others to check out are the Epiphone Regent Zephyr, the Samick LaSalle [JZ2, JZ3, or JZ4], Hofner 16" archtop, or the new Strombergs.

Happy hunting!!

It's the journey, not the destination!

www.myspace.com/goodtar
user45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Joe Barden's PU's http://www.joebarden.com I use them in my Tele and you can get a great Jazz tone out of the neck PU. Danny Gatton used and help design the PU's for the Tele with Joe Barden, not the Lindy Fralins, which are great PU's btw.

Excellent clarity and totally noise free.
ksterchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a tele on my jazz gig. I replaced the pickups with Lollar 'Special' single coils. They are kind of pricy, but very nice. I plug the tele into a Boss ME50 into an Evans amp.

Kevin
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the format of a tele with a neck humbucker never bothered Ed Bickert. Very Happy

you can start playing in a jazz style right away on your telecaster. but do experiment with your tone knob to adjust the brightness. I'm a huge fan of the fender humbuckers found in tele deluxes from the 60s/70s. still, the natural brightness of a tele provides a snappier attack and thus many trad jazz guitarists lean more toward the darker sounds of mahogany, rosewood etc. for the more "spongy" attack (am assuming that your axe has a maple neck). but there are few guitars where the tone pot has more utility than on a telecaster, which should allow you to compensate and soften your tone. so I'd suggest that you explore your options--see how the tele works out, and meanwhile start shopping for your entry jazzbox...

I've been quite happy with an ibanez artstar as80...now called artcore I think. great bang for the buck...
PJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

user45 wrote:
Check out Joe Barden's PU's http://www.joebarden.com I use them in my Tele and you can get a great Jazz tone out of the neck PU. Danny Gatton used and help design the PU's for the Tele with Joe Barden, not the Lindy Fralins, which are great PU's btw.

Excellent clarity and totally noise free.

I totally agree about Bardens. I have 3 in my tele and love them. Another thing you might want to do is mess w/ the caps on the tone control to make the sound a bit darker when turning the tone down. It's cheap and easy if you have any skills w/ a soldering iron. If you don't, have a tech do it for you. You could try different values and see what sounds best to you.

=-) PJ
planetguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since this thread has resurfaced...i'll toss my .02 in too.

i've got two teles....one's a stock affair and the other i put together w an old '68 neck on a thinline WARMOTH ash body w 1/4" flame maple top.

i went w RIO GRANDE p/u's Muy Grande inthe brdg and Tall Boy in the neck position....i love 'em.

loves me them thinline teles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: