PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any 7-stringers???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antique_dream

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Any 7-stringers??? Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum because I've been interested in jazz for a while and have been learning a little bit here and there for about a year. Anyway, does anyone else play 7-string like I do? I really like adding the lower strings to chords, I recommend that everyone try it at least once. Also, what are some good jazz 7-stringers to listen to, I've had trouble finding them.
7-string player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: 7 strings Reply with quote

Hi, I played jazz for awhile, but just recently got a 7-string. I think it's much more difficult than what I expected. What gauge do you use on the low string? I've read that some people tune the low string down to A. That way you get an octave on the 7th and 5th/same fret. Could be useful, no...? I also think it's hard to find other players/music on 7-string, but I haven't rally started looking yet.
Cheers,
Marten
jazzhead84

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: 7 string Reply with quote

Yeah, you it is much better tuning to bass string to an A instead of a B. That way you can just invert the chord you are playing by taking the note on the fifth string and moving it down to the seventh. It gives the chord a very nice full sound, also you can play a walking bass line on the 7th string and play melody over it. Also you know that you can always go lower, you never run into a problem if you are playing a slash chord; that is a chord with an added note in the bass. As far as finding books I know that there are some out there. The biggest thing to make sure is that it is not a rock book, since a some metal players used seven string guitars. I really suggest if you are fairly serious to get a teacher taht teaches seven string. But I don't know if you are that serious or not. Otherwise there some jazz 7 string books. I have heard that they are pretty good, so... As far as 7 string musicians Bucky Pizzarelli is a great guitarist. His son also plays a 7 string, John Pizzarelli. I suggest trying them out, I'm sure you will not regret it, especially Buckey's stuff.
Nadav

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Seven stringers are:Geroge Van Eps(the first 7 stringer as far ase i know)
Howard Alden
Ron Echete
Nadav

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*as
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: 7 string payer Reply with quote

Check out Bruce Dunlap a New mexico guitarist that uses finger picks on
all of his right hand fingers. How he does this without getting a chicken-pic'n
sound I don't know. His right hand technique is flawsless and opens up
many musical pathways for guitarists. You got to hear and see him.
rowland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: 7-string jazz Reply with quote

Try Bucky Pizzarelli for a starter and then his son, John jr.
Howard Alden is a wonderfully melodic player:
Jimmy Bruno has more technique than anybody you'll ever hear though he really doesn't do it for me.
jazzy D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: 7 String Reply with quote

Jimmy Bruno is a aewsomee 12 string player
jazzy D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: 7 String Reply with quote

Jimmy Bruno is a awsome 7 string player
BITCHSLAP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: 7 STRING Reply with quote

I GOT A SEVEN STRING BUT I NEVER USE IT. ALL SO I THOUGHT OR IAT LEAST POPULAR CULTURE WOULD LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THAT SEVEN STRING WAS CUSTOM MADE FOR STEVE VAI. IF I AM WRONG LET ME KNOW.
ESPECIALLY IF THIS PREDATES HIM-Other Seven stringers are:Geroge Van Eps(the first 7 stringer as far ase i know)
tranefollower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: 7 String guitarists Reply with quote

Check Out:
George Van Eps, Lenny Breau (The Baddest), Howard Alden, Jimmy Bruno and The Pizzarelis. Lenny Breau will always be the man though!!!!!
Hank _Garland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Great 7 string player Reply with quote

I agree,,,,one of the best players Hank knows is Jimmy Bruno.
Ronjazz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: 7-string Reply with quote

I took a lesson or two from Bucky when I was into 7-string (low A), he has a pretty cool system, only took a few hours to get it together, played 7-string for years in Boston, mostly duo gigs. The acknowledged master is Van Eps, his output reissued on Euphoria records, he's amazing...7-string is excellent for accompanying singers and horn players, or in a guitar duo. To really get the most out of it, some classical guitar right-hand techniques are very helpful.
electric_chairman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: 7 string Reply with quote

Recently purchased a 7 string Ibanez which i've converted to 3 string bass (bottom end) + Tenor guitar (4 string top end). This was to enable me to combine bass + lead\rythym guitar on one instrument. Couldn't afford a Megatar. Since meeting Stanley Jordon in the early 80's i've always wanted to learn "Two-handed Tapping". So @ the young age of 62yrs i'm teaching myself to "tap" a combination of "walking bass" + "chord-melody". For those wanting to learn conventional 7 string there are some books available. i saw some on one of the publishers sites, possibly Mel Bay. You can always do a search on Ebay for 7 string guitars + books. i tune in 5ths (lowA) on the bass strings + 4ths (D,G,C,F) on the Tenor strings. I play thru a 70's Ampeg Bass amp. Also own a 1964 Gibson ES330 + a 70's Epiphone Rivoli 4 string bass.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I can't say how comprehensive it is as I don't play the seven-string, you might want to check out the September 2004 edition of 'Guitar Player' because there is a John Pizzarelli lesson in it, dealing specifically tuning the seventh to B. Also, and this might sound a bit silly in the context of jazz guitar, but Steve Vai has done some pretty innovative things with the instrument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: