PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem: "Seeing is Conceiving" section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
croth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Problem: "Seeing is Conceiving" section Reply with quote

I find myself at a stumbling block in the section where we are asked to "Refer now to the melodic patterns at fig. 23" and "using the chord sequences...to play through each melodic pattern...in all keys".

This may be a wonderful exercise but I find it disconcerting that the melody patterns are tabbed with open strings. This makes it particulary, and I believe unnecessarily, tedious to transpose them to closed positions for use in other keys. Why not have provided them in closed-string tablature form to make them movable?

Or am I missing or misunderstanding something with this exercise?

Second, there is no count provided for the "Play Along" chord changes. In the exercise, are we supposed to complete the entire 10 bar melodic pattern before the next chord change, or is it just as beneficial to play a part of each melodic pattern over each change? Without a count, I don't have a chance of making the entire thing fit before the next change.

I could use some guidance or suggestions on these issues please. And thanks.

I am diligently working on the course and have had no trouble following the logic of all the steps up until this exercise.
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Seeing is conceiving Reply with quote

Croth,

Yes you are right, the Tab with open strings does not help in this situation. Any Tab you see is usually the 'easiest' way to play an example, not necessarily the best and certainly not for transposing. Yes these particular set of exercises should be re-tabbed without open strings. I'll get to that in a course upgrade.

But can I suggest something...Get away from TAB! At your level you should be reading music. You'll find it a lot easier so don't put it off any more...

Also, much like the beginning horizontal exercises, try to 'hear' the steps of these melodic patterns, so once you get to grips with it in one key, moving to a new key center should not be a matter of scrambling to find the notes but more of a natural aural thing where your ear tells you where the next notes in the sequence lie.

Of course this takes time....

Regarding the count offs. I'm not entirely sure which play alongs you are referring to but I think it is the ones on page 40? If so, it is not necessary for you to finish the whole 4 bar phrase before the chord changes. These are to get you to hear the overall key center. If you want to concentrate on one chord, don't use those particular play alongs.

Chris
croth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"these particular set of exercises should be re-tabbed without open strings. I'll get to that in a course upgrade"

Excellent response and I'll be looking forward to seeing the changes.

"can I suggest something...Get away from TAB! At your level you should be reading music"

You are entirely correct (of course). I can read most things from the music (though not a great reader), and I do when I learn a tune from The Real Book for example. However, I look to TAB, when it's available, to help me get what the pro's recommended fingering and recommended position would be. In my case, the TAB can be an important learning tool for that information.

"try to 'hear' the steps of these melodic patterns"

Yes, I get that. I like your course because it DOESN'T rely on memorizing scales and patterns, and I am focusing on the "hearing" and "listening" aspect. It is definitely more of what I need. I realized that thinking too much about the tab-ing of those melody patterns wasn't that big of a deal because of this "hearing" approach after I posted my question.

Your answer regarding the count-offs perfectly answered my question.

Thanks for the response- right on the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: