PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are we all guys?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Are we all guys? Reply with quote

I realized the other day that I think everybody who posts regularly here is male. I know that there's probably usually a 10:1 male to female ratio for dedicated guitarists, but I guess I thought it was funny to realize that everybody on this board is male and nobody has mentioned anything about it.

Are there any women on this board?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic matter none the less. I don't know of ANY female jazz guitar players. The earliest that comes to mind barely qualifies, and I mean barely...Mary Ford and realistically she didn't play particularly well.

I don't believe it was really socially acceptible (other than classical) up until the 80's?

Anyone else?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily Remler, Leni Stern, mimi fox...

I don't know of any others, but I'm sure some googling would help

One of my jazz teachers at the National Guitar Workshop was female.
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a super hot female player at Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit not too long ago. She was from Amsterdam. She played a semi-hollow through a Polytone and did everything with her fingers. It's too bad more women don't play. Sure would liven things up a bit. Wink

By the way, Remler is a fantastic player.
________
sc2 replays
________
E32
________
vaporizer affiliate programs
________
Ford Motor Company of Canada specifications

Last edited by woodsy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 am; edited 4 times in total
Martacus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emily was the best - she had a subtle touch on the instrument, and could write a damn fine tune. It's a shame that a lot of her stuff is out of print, but it's even more tragic that she's been gone 15 years. She was 32 at the time. Rest in peace, Lady R. Sad
www.martypowerjazz.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess there are more than I thought. Shocked

I've never been a 'who's it's' kinda guy.

From my experience (as I live with four females) is generally, in most cases, the interest simply isn't there. Not that it's disliked, it's not a level of interest. We do however attempt to find some creative vent for each that they can find passion, so far none have selected music. Rolling Eyes

I also believe musical parent(s) forcing musical persuit on their youth is wrongful. I'll make certain all of them move on into their lives with some fretboard knowledge to take with them but doubt any will further it on their own. But that's okay...all part of parenthood right? Wink
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore the stuff she did with Coreyel.(sp?) What is it with smack and great jazz artists? What is it?-some sort of spiuritual search and the music isn't enough, or what. I don't get it. I smoked a little weed and did some experimentation when I was a kid, but trashing that beauty, music, talent, etc... What the heck! At least stick around for the rest of us, you know. Do it for the team!-Kind of thing. I don't know? Drugs take too much and give too little back and then, when everything is said and done, you're a bankrupt soul, dude. Search out truth within a framework that is somewhat healthy. It'll do a lot more for you in the long run-ain't no short-cuts to the creative mind.
________
Honda SMX history
________
Willys Lightning engine
________
[URL=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Town_and_Country_(pre-1990)]Chrysler Town and Country (pre-1990) specifications[/URL]
________
XR125L

Last edited by woodsy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 am; edited 4 times in total
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I was talking with Martacus about Remler. I think that females aren't into jazz because, they aren't into nicknames, or being called by their last name, etc... It has to be genetic at some point. Check out the girls who jam on the web-they would be cool to hang-out with. I think a lot of it has to do with, in respect to guitar, it's phalanx(sp?) symbology. What girl wants to spend the whole night strokin' when she could be doing her own thing.
________
Ferrari F1/87
________
Lexus GX
________
herbal vaporizers
________
Jaguar XJR-15 specifications

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsy wrote:
What is it with smack and great jazz artists?

Suffering Soul Syndrome - They can't make their inside feel the way we feel from what they produce. Turning to alternative means resulting in something that getting off from 'the stuff' is more challanging then anything most people will ever face. It's the devil (in so many words).
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsy wrote:
Sorry. I was talking with Martacus about Remler. I think that females aren't into jazz because, they aren't into nicknames, or being called by their last name, etc... It has to be genetic at some point. Check out the girls who jam on the web-they would be cool to hang-out with. I think a lot of it has to do with, in respect to guitar, it's phalanx(sp?) symbology. What girl wants to spend the whole night strokin' when she could be doing her own thing.

I think culture is a big part of it.
Martacus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Heroin and jazz artists Reply with quote

I had a friend who used smack because of a desire to emulate Bird. My reasoning of 'he was great in SPITE of it, not BECAUSE of it' did little to change the attitude...

The Coryell/Remler duet is absolutely one of my favorite works - the playing, the tune choice, the tone of the guitars, everything. I just love it.
www.martypowerjazz.com
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For JakeJew
I'm into that nature/nurture thing. Have you ever seen those studies done on twins separated at birth? Check it out. It might give you a new perspective on how you think. (Did me) Gentic code is sooo powerful, you may be in this forum right just because of IT.

For Gorecki
I like that little artsy thingy you've got there by your name. My uncle-an artist in his own right-left this place on a junky high. When you are tempted, just know you have an ally. And, your best friend is not the Devil brother. No how. No Way. Even if he promises the world. Stay humble. Seek Truth. Live your life under surrender to GOOd.

I dig jazz because it's always new, never the same, but has that structure. Melody, Harmony, Story-Telling and what-not. It is good. We've got it all, but nobody knows it. Long live the church of jazz and praise the mind and spirit who gave it life.

If in any doubt?- Check; Coltrane, Hall, Miles, Burrell, Segovia, Scofield(Ol'man jamz. Not just a ninja, but in-tune to the HArmonic VIbe ThingY OUR forefathers WAnted for You.)

My old dog is wagging his tale in his sleep. Very Happy
________
Yamaha FZR1000
________
Toyota Sequoia specifications
________
[URL=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_(division)]Chrysler (division) history[/URL]
________
volcano digital

woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martacus
Me too. Those two had such a special chemistry together. It was unusual, as it was difficult to distinguish where one of them started and the other left off. Truly a beautiful piece of art for two souls to have conjured.
________
suzuki specs
________
vaporizer forums
________
volcano classic
________
Nobuhiko Kawamoto

Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsy wrote:

For Gorecki
I like that little artsy thingy you've got there by your name. My uncle-an artist in his own right-left this place on a junky high. When you are tempted, just know you have an ally. And, your best friend is not the Devil brother. No how. No Way. Even if he promises the world. Stay humble. Seek Truth. Live your life under surrender to GOOd.

What? From the sounds of it you've read toooo deeply into what I said. I've known people with such issues, I was in no way referring to myself! I don't think they'd let me have my security clearence if that were the case! Laughing

Oh..the 'artsy thing' is the cover of an EP I did a long time ago. Wink
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki

Not my place to be judgemental one way, or another. I respond deeply to everything, and was in no way implying you used smack. Sorry.

How do you create? I know it doesn't come from your security clearance. I had a guitar teacher once that fought in Vietnam and then became a "Selective Service?" guy. I don't know, he protected the president. He is retired and making good money teaching and giving private lessons. He once showed me a picture of him doing his "Job" in Vietnam-Pretty scary stuff. It freaked me out. He was, none the less, the best guitar teacher I ever had. I will always remember him shutting the door in the studio, causing complete darkness, and playing for nearly half an hour- Nothing but sound and blackness. It was- as I said- scary, but real.
________
glass pipe
________
vaporizer review
________
Jaguar V12 engine picture
________
buy vapormatic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: