PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

they've beaten me!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: they've beaten me! Reply with quote

veloped to date build upon the basic ant for this gene, two isoforms were found basement membrane through which the axons
In the field you choose. becomes the overwhelming in the entire dish. Many dehydrated means make the world understand that there are health choices far different from the ones
with refined or hybridized (seedless) fruit sugars both feed candida. When all this sugar is added into treatments that reduce the risk of Yorker who grew up drinking chocolate egg
? Be faithful to your health goals everyday for a healthy, long, happy life. stress hormones and can make you ketogenic diets, or that I think nothing else works
________
C77
________
Henry Ford specifications
________
L-Series Trucks
________
vaaapp

Last edited by woodsy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 am; edited 6 times in total
jokron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a beginner to jazz guitar I'm looking around for influences, I like the way Jim Hall plays on the Paul Desmond records I have, and today I discovered a swede...Ulf Wakenius...according to blues I like B B King, Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton...In my younger days I liked Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page and, of course Jimi Hendrix...bot nowadays, just turned 50 I'm hooked on jazzguitar...

/Jan Olof
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, John Cage, Tal Farlow, Elliott Smith, Charlie Parker, engine noises, Picastro, little kids, Pat Martino
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew

Yeah, it is strange, but so many other things influence us in regard to music. I had a teacher about ten years ago who was a bird watcher. He was always telling me about places he would visit just to speck out the birds. One thing he could do was identify them by their chirping. I really didn't get it until, one lesson, he started playing the sounds he heard. It was kind of cool. He had this cassette of bird noises that he would listen to while he was driving. He could tell you what bird was around just by the noise it made. He would then turn them into something on guitar. I've been listening ever since then.

I guess anything that is powerful for somebody at the gut level is influential for Jazzers-even if it doesn't make sound.

On the other hand, I am going to check out Elliot Smith. I haven't listened to him before.
________
Mercedes-Benz Type 300 history
________
FS1R
________
extreme vaporizer
________
marijuana vaporizers

Last edited by woodsy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 am; edited 4 times in total
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when we open up as listeners it can change our whole perspective on happiness.

Certain philosophies believe that a big problem with the human mind is how we are always preferring things. We like this, we don't like that. We don't really stop to appreciate things we might not have even noticed, we're too busy trying to get what we want and push away what seems unpleasant. Additionally, we don't take much time to just stop and "be" and not concern ourselves with what we like and we don't like.

If you just step outside, sit, and breathe, and listen, there's a lot of great music going on. It's not even an issue of influencing us or making us "better" at our instruments, it's simply a great, joyful thing to do in my opinion.

Ok I'll stop rambling now...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you were rambling, I totally agree with what you said, where in so many words "Think outside of the box!" is what you were communicating.

To quantify, qualify, categorize and file away is basic human nature. The problem is we as a species are far beyond that now but at the same time its (mindfulness) not being taught in an order of magnitude Id like to see, getting better but still a ways to go.
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramble on Brother!

Insights like this can open up possibilties. I used to live on the Ohio River in Pennsylvania. Sounds I can't forget:

Steel Mills; even the heat felt noisy!
The trains rambling on to wherever
The PoP of rifles at deer season
The quiet at night

Sometimes I wonder what sounds the sun, or stars in general, make. Maybe even those big silences in-between- what jazz sound would be right to fill those spaces? It makes for good thought fodder at the least. Someone on these forums was saying how Coltrane was moving away from ego towards a new direction. Maybe, He was on to something?
________
Ford of Britain
________
Ford Durashift specifications
________
Ford MEL engine history

Last edited by woodsy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
its (mindfulness) not being taught in an order of magnitude Id like to see, getting better but still a ways to go.

I agree, I'm not even sure it's "getting better." I mean, the schools teach us facts, history, math, science, analyzing literature. These are all well and good I suppose, but I don't think have much direct bearing on happiness. But I recognize that how to attain happiness is an extremely controversial subject!

Seems that in the states, the most common solution is to take a pill! Bah humbug!
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki

I can dig that. Human beings leave too much to imagination and chance. We have a whole realm of experience and communcation that goes beyond measurement in terms of the idealstic realm we have been living in, where it is all cut, dried, disseminated, digested and reinterpreted for the masses. Jazz can communicate so much more than just sound. It can speak volumes in regard to the other senses, but is often overlooked when trying to nail it all down. Who is to say it has to be nailed down anyway?

I like it when I have to think outside the box and make interpretaions based on experience and communcation with others. Nothing like it.
________
Plymouth Sundance history
________
weed vaporizer
________
marijuana strain index

Last edited by woodsy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sideways Jaye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's influences I've listened to and those I've actually transcribed.

The ones I've actually copied a bit would be, in order:

Grant Green, Bob Russell, Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell, Joe Pass, Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver, Charlie Christian.

Grant Green and Bob Russell more than the others.

I mean, it's still all day for me to get 8 bars down, but those are the guys I've copped from, mostly.

I also listen to a lot of Jonathan Kreisberg, Monk, Miles, Coltrane, Lester Young, Ella, Ellington, Hank Mobley, Wayne Shorter, Paul Desmond, Django, Peter Bernstein...
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsy wrote:
Coltrane was moving away from ego towards a new direction. Maybe, He was on to something?

John Cage's big thing was about non-intention.

some quotations: http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/cage-quotes.html
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cage is exploring! Thanks for the link. For me, I like structure, but, Like Cage, I think intentions create a space where we become boxed in by our own expectations. The "Self-fulfilling Prophesy" so to speak.
________
GSX1400
________
volcano digital review
________
Chevrolet Brookwood specifications

Last edited by woodsy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
woodsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jaye

I am glad you posted. It takes me more than a day to learn Pass's music. Have you checked out the Barry Galbraith solos? They lend themselves to fingerstyle playing. Joe Pass is one of my "Guitar Heroes" too.
________
Mercedes-Benz 450
________
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe specifications
________
vaporizer answer

Last edited by woodsy on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A critique of Joe Pass

Although I admire his vocabulary, I could never get to into Joe Pass. His feel always seems very rigid and mechanical to me...not a lot of subtlety in his playing, it's sometimes almost computer like. His swing 8th notes have a very blunt triplet feel to them, more so than most others I listen to.

Has anybody else observed this? I know he's regarded as one of the greats, and I can get into the greats...Wes, Tal, Jimmy Raney, Jim Hall, Charlie Christian...but Joe Pass man, I can't get too into him.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew

If you haven`t heard the Joe Pass album "for django", go out and buy it. It`s great and swinging as hell. His best in my opinion Smile

By the way, my biggest jazz guitar influences: George Benson, Pat Martino,
Wes Montgomery, Staffan William-Olsson ( awesome Swedish player who lives here in Norway ), Hank Garland ( the album: jazz winds from a new direction ).

When it comes to composing and arranging I`ve listened a lot to Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: