PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Students
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorro87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: University Students Reply with quote

Hey guys!
Are there any college students in the forum? I am asking cause I am now applying in different colleges for jazz studies major and I wanted to ask some questions about different schools, curriculum, performances, scholarships, future plans...and of course playing in general! Thanks very much!
jorro87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information. I have already applied to USC, New School University, ithaca College, Univeristy of Miami, McGill Univeristy(where I don't think I will get in at all)....but still the problem with the scholarships remains....anyway...thanks very much....are you a student too?
jorro87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information. I have already applied to USC, New School University, ithaca College, Univeristy of Miami, McGill Univeristy(where I don't think I will get in at all)....but still the problem with the scholarships remains....anyway...thanks very much....are you a student too?
jorro87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! I can't believe I didn't find this forum earlier! Btw I might go to college and double-major, cause that is a pretty good option for people like me cause I really want to continue with music but I'd like to study something else too like economics or marketing or something like that. ...you know...to broaden my scope of possibilities after college. I will try to tallk with Jeffrey burr...
Thanks once again...keep in touch
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
the music biz can be a very tough road

That pretty much should have a period on it. It's not that it's impossible to make a living, but it's more than likely difficult in the least to make a decent living doing what you 'want' to do.

The most important thing you can do for yourself is get a degree! IT DOESN'T MATTER IN WHAT! It simply amazes me still how many people have degree's in something that isn't in anyway shape or form related to what they do for a living. The degree is all that matters!
Jeffrey_Burr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late, sorry. I have something to share about this with the youngbloods - along the lines of Gorecki's statement above.

It ALMOST doesn't matter in what!

I assure you, a "jazz degree" doesn't help that much. I actually didn't officially graduate until several years after my last class (I finally decided to pay for the library books I lost just to see what the diploma looks like) and it didn't make one iota of difference in my "real" life.

If you have another interest besides playing jazz guitar, my advice to you is to pursue that at a school which is located in a culturally rich area. If I had it to do over again, I would have just gone somewhere not too pricy in NYC such as Long Island University in downtown Brooklyn, and gotten a degree in any form of engineering. You can put together sessions or hit Smalls, or whatever is hopping nowadays, anytime. If you can play a few things or do okay on an ear-training or theory placement exam, they'll probably let you sign up for an ensemble or some ear-training class even if you aren't a music major. Then you can do like these IT guys pulling the 6-figure salaries while I puzzle over Schedule SE.

Not that I particularly regret my choices, it's just that "an education" is not something you can go order like a side of curly fries; no matter who or how good your teachers are, ultimately you have to teach yourself. If the love is there, get a good teacher and practice on your own time, find some jam buddies, go see the masters at every opportunity, and get some kind of useful degree, whether you think you'll use it or not. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Jeffrey_Burr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to be super dark or anything. It's probably heretical enough for me to endorse breaking the cycle whereby new batches of jazz educators are generated. I should probably say something about William Paterson University to anyone who's interested.

I went to WPU (then just WPC) when Rufus Reid was the chair and I would say the character and quality of that program was shaped by prof. Reid's presence there. The daily work of administration etc was done by other dedicated folks including David Dempsey who I believe is still there but prof. Reid was the charismatic glue - the man is really larger than life. I would recommend this school to those who really have their heart set on jazz school, except I haven't been there for ten years. I remember it was really driven home that the program was very exclusive - it was kept very small on purpose. For each of us studying there there were 8 or 9 applicants denied. Although there were some very strong players coming through, the average level was not as high as one might think. As an optimistic guess, I would say perhaps half of us are still currently committed to performance as a life pursuit. I would guess that this figure is somewhat lower at most music schools.

I met many fine players there, including the fellers who play on my recording. Peter Bernstein, Bill Stewart, Tony Malaby, Eric Alexander (and others I'm forgetting, I'm certain) were among those who finished just before I got there.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey_Burr wrote:
I wasn't trying to be super dark or anything.

Cool Don't worry, I said practically the same thing in my post to a similar topic further down the page. And it's the truth, better not to hide it.

Man, when I saw you list William Paterson I immediatly thought, "Did he go with Bernstien, Eric Alexander and those cats?" Laughing
johnomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorro87 wrote:
Btw I might go to college and double-major, cause that is a pretty good option for people like me cause I really want to continue with music but I'd like to study something else too like economics or marketing or something like that. ...you know...to broaden my scope of possibilities after college. I will try to tallk with Jeffrey burr...
Thanks once again...keep in touch

it seems we are in the same boat. i'm trying to double major in jazz/studio guitar and psychology so i don't starve. i was looking at usc and ucla and usc has a few different degree progams. with a BM you can't realistically double major seeing as it's difficult to get this one degree in 4 years, BA you can double major i guess but it's harder to move on into music, and BS seems to me like it's exactly how it sounds in terms of a music degree. ucla i think allows you to more easily double major.
jorro87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks for the advice! Btw I am probably goona go to Ithaca College and major in Music with an outside field, I guess that is the best option as far as music ann d also financial aid goes Smile. Btw does any one know anything about the School of Music at Ithaca? I know it is good, but does anyone has something to tell me more about it- opportunities after that, how famous it is, stuff like that....
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to starve.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSecretia wrote:
I'm going to starve.

As long as you get a degree, you'll be fine. Not getting a degree is where Jiffy Lube comes in (by the way, I know the original creators widow..if you need a job Mr. Green). It doesn't matter in what...really it doesn't!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Rolland Harrison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
jiffy lube by day, jazz by night?
Laughing

Another one..
Play rock to support your jazz habit.. Laughing
cjm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A degree, any degree, has become almost essential, because a four year college degree today really is little more than the equivalent of a high school diploma fifty years ago.

But, as to "starvation," well...we Americans now tend to define deprivation rather differently than our grandparents did.

It is possible to have a fulfilling life without all the trappings of middle-class, consumerist, "success."

Four thousand square feet of suburban monstrosity sited on a manicured half acre lot with his and hers gas guzzling SUVs in the garage will not buy freedom from chronic stomach pain, insomnia and obesity. It will not substitute for intellectual stimulation nor provide an outlet for artistic, creative impulses. It doesn't make a better world for our great grandchildren.

At the same time, I wouldn't suggest trying to support one's self solely on the earnings from playing jazz, unless one lumps teaching together with performance...and there are some opportunities for talented people to teach at the public school and college levels while earning a livable, if unspectacular, wage.

When one's expiration date is met, a life spent clawing for success as measured in every dollar earned -- or every dollar spent in the process of accumulating worthless trinkets and symbols of class position -- is unlikely to have provided the same degree of satisfaction as a life spent less acquisitively and where a portion of one's time and effort was also devoted to intellectual and artistic growth throughout that life.
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steve, its no time to starve,
im working 8h by day, learning guitar, and english by night and be very unhappy if i cant sing every week in church, played silvester in a musicstudio together with 2 others and today im gone to miss it,

good luck to all Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: