PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Students
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thane27

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently in my last year of high school then Ill be taking a year off and continuing to teach guitar to earn some money to help pay to go to university to get my B mus in jazz performace. Then Im going to try and get into McGill, University of Toronto or afew others im looking into... then making a living off teaching and performing...Now all I have to do is keep practicing and working to get myself there...
hanni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
i donīt know the american school system, but i want to understand it Laughing
i leave school with 16 and at the same time i drop everything with music (was playing clarinett) that was a big mistake (to young, underaged) and with 27, i had all my school degrees and degrees and certifs in business i need, was done it at the german chamber of comerce,
now itīs interesting to me, how the american school system works, and is it the same to girls and boys? special in music? Mr. Green
taylorseward

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a jazz studies major at virginia commonwealth university. although many people may not know of this school, we have an amazing jazz program. also, it's the largest college in the state of virginia.
TwoFiveOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylorseward wrote:
im a jazz studies major at virginia commonwealth university. although many people may not know of this school, we have an amazing jazz program. also, it's the largest college in the state of virginia.

Mike is one hell of a teacher!

Very Happy
hanni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igero, not football, made promotion last year at the world soccer games and robbie williams in a promotion team Laughin my arse off
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Jazz Studies Major at Central Michigan University. There's almost nothing here for me except for our amazing Jazz Studies professor. The only problem is that the rest of the program here is a lame duck when it comes to jazz, and we're losing all of our good jazzers to grad school. I'm out of here. Probably going to transfer to Wayne State University (Detroit) or Western Michigan University.
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it easy to change the university in the usa? or do you need a special music degree and did they use numerus clausus? like in germany (donīt have a music degree Crying or Very sad ) find a guitar teacher in my area last weekend, he also teach bass, english and france, he just did single teaching, i donīt know to do it, single teaching in english and guitar seems a bit hard...........i never had a guitarteacher........using german lesson books and american internet lessons i can suck on pc
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
is it easy to change the university in the usa?

Basically, yes. I wouldn't call it easy but yes a person can go anywhere they want as long as they:

1. Get accepted into the school (grade point, credit..etc).
2. Can pay the bill.

If it's a transfer from another school, credited information is transfered from the old school to the new school.

In the US, you can pretty much do anything you want to as long as you have money! Rolling Eyes

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
SteveSecretia wrote:
I'm a Jazz Studies Major at Central Michigan University. There's almost nothing here for me except for our amazing Jazz Studies professor. The only problem is that the rest of the program here is a lame duck when it comes to jazz, and we're losing all of our good jazzers to grad school. I'm out of here. Probably going to transfer to Wayne State University (Detroit) or Western Michigan University.

have you thought of coming down to UNT? its a state school so its not too expensive. great program for jazzers. been a great program for decades. all you have to do is trade the cold weather for hot, but you would go home for the summer anyway. perfect.

I was thinking about UNT, but I had just assumed it would be too expensive or I wouldn't be good enough to make the best of it. Maybe I should look into it more. My GPA isn't so good anymore because I'm probably incompetent
thane27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that cool steve I was thinking about going to wayne state cause im across the river in windsor. But toronto on montreal have better programs.
taylorseward

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
taylorseward wrote:

cool.
what year are you in? do you play in an ensemble? what do you think of their guitar instruction and the materials that they use?, and what do you think of their improv instruction?

im a second semester sophomore. i am in an ensemble, but due to the overflow of guitar players, im in one with three guitar players in addition to a rhythm section. my class (2009) is the first for a new curriculum. guitar instruction consists of the usual, berklee press, william leavitt, barry gailbraith books, personal notes from the instructor, etc. we also are require to take four semesters of classical guitar as well. improv class is insane, i never expected to learn as much as i did in such a short amount of time.

and yes, mike is a hell of a teacher.
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorecki, in germany we have good music schools (expensive) but i canīt go, there is no time, iīm working and need money, i wanīt to do music in church because you dont need much money there, they need church musicans in small villages like iīm live, they put my name on a paper together with other guitarplayers and if they get a teacher they start with guitar education at evenings, so there is a free job for a teacher but no teacher want to go in this stupid farm area, (only this one with the private single lessons) now this week i canīt play guitar we are singing on sunday in church an there are 14 gospel songs to learn by head
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like things aren't very different in Germany than in the States.

Sounds like you got some songs to memorize quickly...better get at them! Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thanks, maybe itīs a side effect of learning guitar with the peter bursch methode, i memorize faster since i do it Laughing www.peter-bursch.de , i work me through this books
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeless or dead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: