PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks to all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rkelley40

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks to all Reply with quote

Since joining this site I have heard some of the best Jazz guitar playing ever by people who are essentially no names in the Business.
That's not a put down I only mean not famous. I used to think that Benson , Malone and a few others were in a league by themselves but some of the posts that I hear at this site are outstanding and if no ever says great job, let me go on record to say so. I "take " a lot from you guys and it is appreciated. That last post by PAULD was great and Jazzerman is more than outstanding. More of you should release "CD's" of your own work. If you cannot "create" then get with someone who can or just re-work the tunes you love. I'll be the first to buy!!
Thanks Again guys
Rod
steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that!
It is such a priviledge to be able to communicate with you cats from all around the world, people who love the art of creating beautiful sounds, and to have such great players to inspire and encourage us. Awesome stuff.
And I'm sure I'm not alone in busting to hear your band Rod.
steve
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amazes me is that I've been alive for 21 years, been playing guitar for 9, and I've barely ever even met any guitarists that were even approaching the level of playing and understanding that is fairly common in this forum - no matter what the genre.

Maybe I just don't get out much. I literally know maybe one guitarist besides myself (and my teacher) who knows how to solo over chord changes, understands what a ii V is, etc. Maybe it's just that I don't get out much. So it's nice to be here in a forum where most people are way ahead of my game.

But I guess since I don't really hang out in a community of jazz or classical musicians it makes sense that I wouldn't encounter people with this kind of knowledge
Martacus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the internet a blast? Seriously, I really dig this group as well, even though we may disagree at times. As a good friend of mine once said, if two people agree all the time, one of them may not be necessary.

To your collective health and spirit!
www.martypowerjazz.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit this is one of the more mature boards (not just age) I belong.

So much music, people finding/posting cool info and though we probably have the all time worst thread focus of all time (I'm guilty of quite a bit) it still feels like a community.

Hopefully it doesn't get too big for it's...ahh....G string? Laughing

Thanks for putting up with me! Cool
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - this is a great site Cool Cool . I've gotten so much out of it and have met some really great people and incredible players. Thanks!!! (I say we all go over to steve’s house this weekend and jam!)

P.S. Thanks for those very kind words Rod!!
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thanks to all, weather we agree on someting or not it doesn't matter. I have learned alot, not only about playing guitar but alot of other stuff as well. Incidently I belong to another 2 or 3 forums but this forum wins hands down. For the most part posters on this forum are honest, they don't make a mockery of your question and aren't tight ass with information in the least. In other words if you ask a question on this forum and someone can help you with it, they will period...

thanks fellow jazzers Cool
Fredrik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things I find about this site is that you can always keep track of all the recent post because of the small community instead of having to search for your own post which can be quite annoying.

Keep writin;

see ya Cool
steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks!!! (I say we all go over to steve’s house this weekend and jam!)

I'll put the kettle on! Bring your fake books.
PlayJazzGuitar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Thanks from me too! Reply with quote

Can I also say that no one is more appreciative of you guys than me on this forum! I'm pretty blown away by the standard of so many guitar players here. I've checked out some of your audio and video clips and much of it is up there in the big leagues. Knowing that if I have a question myself I know exactly where to go - what a trip!

I might just add that I started this website, I think 2000? something like that, and let me tell you, the forum wasn't anything like it is now. I painstakingly viewed (much like watching paint dry!) just a few threads per month, but now this board is nuts!

I may need a moderator or two this year. Preferably someone a bit techy who wants to look after this place and take it to a new level (if we need to). Things are getting s little busy for me this year. How about a vote? Feel free to send me an email..

Keep on keepin' on!

Chris
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience in the past in the selecting of mod's seems to have worked best in a democratic method.

Have members nominate other members they think would be good mod's (limit ~3 nominations)

Have those nominees accept or decline candidacy.

Have a vote (we have a poll engine on the site).

Just a suggestion, it seems to work pretty well. Wink

Last edited by Gorecki on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dutchbopper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks to all Reply with quote

[quote="Rkelley40"]Since joining this site I have heard some of the best Jazz guitar playing ever by people who are essentially no names in the Business.

Hi Rodney,

There are quite a few "no names" that can play well. I am organising a jazz guitar night at the Crow next month with 4 guitarists (I am one of them) that are all basically fun players. Actually I am the jazz "rookie" of them in terms of years playing jazz. My former teacher is one of them.

Like me, these guys have day jobs. Still, they are excellent players with a true passion. I hope to post videos of the show so that you can hear them. Were it not for the internet, nobody would ever hear of them. Same for me really.

I know quite a few fine jazz guitar players here and abroad who will remain mostly anonymous to the world.

The name players are just the tip of the iceberg. For each and every one of them there are dozens of fine players that have chosen careers outside music or are teaching rather than performing and recording.

Regards,

#####

Last edited by Dutchbopper on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martacus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of Tim Siciliano - he's an acquaintance from Long Island (friend of Abe Rivera; Tim graciously allowed me to try his Abe guitars to get the feel of Abe's work) who plays around LI. MONSTER player. Absolutely incredible, yet relatively unknown. I mean, AMAZING.
www.martypowerjazz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: