PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Idea??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rkelley40

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: An Idea?? Reply with quote

After reading the thanks to all posts, It is quite evident (to me at least) that something should be done, (preferralby thru this board) for all of us.
Unlike years ago when anything that was recorded had to go thru a major label, well now we have the internet and networking. It would be great if we could come up with a cd of songs that we compile and put it all on 1 cd. Just for us. We may be suprised where it could lead. Even if It went NOWHERE, it would still be a boost to our common bond among ourselves. Too many great players never get recognized. It may be fun, each one bringing a song to the table.
With all this "IT talent we sure could make this happen, even a recording that all of us are on, just transferred thru the web until completed.
I would love to play with some of you guys that are far away, like Jazzerman
Martacus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is a friggin' BRILLIANT idea!!!! I'm going to suggest that the tunes be originals (even if it's the old jazz original of writing a head for Cherokee/How High The Moon/whatever) so we don't have to deal with royalty issues JUST in case this DOES go somewhere. I'm in. I'm also going to ask - anyone within 100 miles of Burlington Vermont? In Montreal, or Plattsburgh or something? I'd be up to doing a guitar duo, or something with my bassist/drummer, but a two (or hell, three!) guitar only track could be a blast.
www.martypowerjazz.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've done this before and know of a few commercial CD's recorded in the same method. There are a set of 'lessons learned' to consider before starting.

1. Recording material from a distance can be challenging when parts solo's and rhythm section don't come together right away so retakes or track sync shifting is essential.

2. File sharing needs to be established because most email systems will not allow attachments as big as full fidelity audio tracks. IE, a standard single audio track (not stereo) average between 20-30 megs per tune length at 44.1k/16bit (minimum fidelity).

3. Planning, planning, planning. Establish what locations people play and what they will play.

4. Compiling all tracking requires someone with the equipment to do so, I'm the only one I'm aware of that has a studio that can handle this, but someone may have the ability I do and I'm not aware of them.

5. START SIMPLE, a simple blues tune can give people a feel for what they are doing in this process.

6. Some people may not have the softwares to contribute to this effort but often that can be handled with at a reasonable cost if any.

7. Communication, I've established teamspeak sessions (see teamspeak.com for details) to work out details and general conversation.

There's still more to it than what I've noted but at least gives a basic scope to what's involved. Wink
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Boston. I like playing guitar. Straight ahead jazz isn't my specialty but if we were to jam we could do something fun I promise Wink
Rkelley40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed , It would be fun though.
I have a Yahmaha AWG 16 track recorder and I take tracks like the one sent from TELCO1 and place it on 2 tracks for stereo and then can add to it, mix it down and post it as a putfile or wavefilee. Someone else can take that trak and do the same and on and on.
What are your thoughts ?
Rod
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rkelley40 wrote:
Agreed , It would be fun though.
I have a Yahmaha AWG 16 track recorder and I take tracks like the one sent from TELCO1 and place it on 2 tracks for stereo and then can add to it, mix it down and post it as a putfile or wavefilee. Someone else can take that trak and do the same and on and on.
What are your thoughts ?
Rod

That's exactly what I ment by planning, using that method there will likely be no real estate left once things get to player #4 let alone player #9 if things get that far (and they can). Unless rhythm section alone is what some people want to do, but in a room full of guitar players how many can play other parts?

Martacus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, gang - I was sort of thinking we'd do separate tracks; maybe two or three guitarists on each cut, etc. Rod and some of the guys in the Baltimore/DC/VA area might do one, I'll see if there's someone up here in VT/Montreal/NH (Jake, I visit Boston occasionally, so that would be possible if you're into it), etc.

How do you all feel about it? Yes? No?
www.martypowerjazz.com
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea....

Gorecki wrote:

That's exactly what I ment by planning, using that method there will likely be no real estate left once things get to player #4 let alone player #9 if things get that far (and they can). Unless rhythm section alone is what some people want to do, but in a room full of guitar players how many can play other parts?

Dunno what all I could contribute, I play a little bit of bass but I (sadly) know absolutely nothing about walking bass lines, anything I could contribute would be more of just something to jam over than any type of standard/straightahead stuff.
Rkelley40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also not everyone has to play on every song. In addition some songs could be submitted in it's entirety. and put on the cd as a complete work. This more that likely Would end up as several cd's or a collection. We also could assign some as moderators to select what songs go on the cd's
Just a thought
Rod
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things sorta related to this...

1) http://www.wikirecording.org/index.php/Main_Page - Wiki for tips/help on recording

2) http://www.ninjam.com/ - "Novel Intervallic Network Jamming Architecture for Music"
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get some of my non-guitar buddys to lay down some tracks. It would be good practice for them, they can be real gnar sometimes, but if I were to record them, I'd make sure they were at their gnarliest.

I also have a tune that I wrote. It's only 8 bars, however, so I was thinking about writing a bridge for it, and then making it a tune in AABA form.

I also have an interesting latin-ish tune, that sounds like it's already a tune, but we could still use it, and tweak it if needed. It actually sounds more like a bridge, and no, it wouldn't work for the previous tune.

So yeah, anything you want guys, I can get you some rhythm tracks.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draqza wrote:
Two things sorta related to this...

1) http://www.wikirecording.org/index.php/Main_Page - Wiki for tips/help on recording

2) http://www.ninjam.com/ - "Novel Intervallic Network Jamming Architecture for Music"

Hey that ninjam is new to me, little affraid latency will be a killer with it but it's at least intended for jams unlike teamspeak! Could be a way to forumlate ideas. Cool
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's the thing about Ninjam, it's designed to push the latency out of the equation a little bit...in that it forces the latency to sync on measure boundaries.
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At another forum a couple of years ago, they had a "fantasy league" type collaboration effort in which I participated. Folks sent in their bios (what level they were at, styles played, other instruments played, influences, etc). Other people volunteered to be managers. At an agreed upon date, the managers took turns choosing their bands, much like the sports "fantasy leagues". It was really quite fun and kept the number of participants more manageable. Each band was responsible for the logistics of sharing the files and mixing it all together. An end date was set, and each band posted their piece. This was at a multi-instrumental forum and here we're all guitarists, so that may not work, but maybe pairing off or keeping it to small groups would work.

Paul
draqza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds almost like how Roadrunner Records did the All-Star sessions project... well, kinda, I guess they flew in all of the musicians to the studio where the manager/"Team Captain" was, but then again, they're a record company with money out the wazoo to foot that kind of thing, so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Let's Jam! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: