PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Idea??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it appears to me we be makin progress! Cool

Think it's time for selection suggestions? As suggested, we can do as many tunes, as many styles as we want (oh and have time for).

So.....I'm going to come from left field.

I'd like to do something with a Zappanese flavor to it. Not necessarily jazz not necessarily anything. Need a comedic personality, anyone got one! Laughing
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I'm a little afraid I stopped this thread in its tracks with my Zappanese request? Crying or Very sad

So since it's been conversation around here more than once, I thought I'd throw Spain into the bucket as a potential candidate.

In preperation of my own project, I took the base midi file and twisted it about a bit and before I completely gutted it I made a basic backing track and one with melody (violin). I slowed the tempo a nose hair (as it's pretty quick), softened the piano a little as well but it still sounds fairly stiff and fairly dry (I didn't do any special studio magic, sequenced and dumped).

They're in Windows Media Audio format and dithered to a couple megs.

Spain Backing Track With Melody
Spain Backing Track Without Melody

Let me know ideas, desires, suggestions. These are just a basic scratch pad to learn and work from. Wink
draqza

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when you mentioned Zappa I was thinking of some of Mattias IA Eklundh's stuff... has influences including Django, Miles, Kiss, Slayer, and Zappa. Anybody else familiar with his stuff?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draqza wrote:
Actually when you mentioned Zappa I was thinking of some of Mattias IA Eklundh's stuff... has influences including Django, Miles, Kiss, Slayer, and Zappa. Anybody else familiar with his stuff?

I honestly wasn't until you made me go looking. Rolling Eyes Wink

I listened and all I pretty much heard was wank & paste music production, not one sample I listened to sounded as if it were being played. Maybe what they have up for sampling (I went to http://www.guitar9.com/freakguitar.html) isn't the best representation of his material because it took some skills to play some of the samples but I didn't find it very inspiring. Again, maybe it was just what I got to hear. Neutral
draqza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, try on his version of Minor Swing:

http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SYRMF4ZLNIIA2JQUW08571DG7
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draqza wrote:
Here, try on his version of Minor Swing:

http://s30.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SYRMF4ZLNIIA2JQUW08571DG7

Well that was certainly more interesting and I can see your thinking in the Zappanese association. The release it came from is named after a Scott Peck book or is that just freak chance? Laughing

But yes, that's more in line with what I was thinking, off the wall, tongue in cheek, forward but never straight, yatta, yatta yatta. You got the idea! Wink
draqza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea *shrug*... I haven't heard the CD you found on GuitarNine, so I can't speak for it, but the one that had Minor Swing I thought was great just because the whole CD was inventive and quirky.

I don't know if I've actually ever heard any Zappa...
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I want some of this one sounds like a great idea, I'm not an IT person but I'm not a complete idiot either so I'll keep checking back. Also I have some originals, one in particular is a latin jazz type thing I think it would be a lot of fun to collaborate on. Oh well, until the sounds hit the waves..

Jazz the only true musical art form, cause of the improvisation.
Yagyu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can collaborate with someone over the net or in real world if someone wants to play in Poland (yeah, I`m from this end of world:P). I`ve got couple of my own tunes mostly ethnic jazz, modal jazz or fusion (last with pretty sick harmony) and currently working on folk jazz tune (got nice voicing and harmony but without melody for head yet). I can also help in technical side - I`m currently studying computer science (University of Wroclaw). I`m playing acoustic and electric guitar, bass (I`m not into thumb playing, but I can pretty good play normal lines (walking is normal line:P), double hand tapping on bass only, and solos), khoomei (throat singing like in Tuvian or mongolian ethnic music), jew`s-harp (altjhough I think it won`t be of use, but who knows...) and I recently beginto play slide guitar and mandolin. I play other genre than jazz too (blues, rock, metal, psychedelic, prog, ethnic).
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz + mando is awesome. well, when done well, anyway.
Yagyu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

jazz + mando is awesome. well, when done well, anyway.

talking `bout grisman?Very Happy
sadly I`m playind mando only a month, I can play some solos on it, but I still learning voicings for chords.
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was somewhere between the Jazz Mandolin Project, and this "jazzgrass" group from Charlottesville,VA called High Society. Andy Thacker of Old School Freight Train plays mando with them. (Then again, they might not be well-enough known for you to have heard of them in Poland.) And I'm pretty sure Chris Thile could burn some jazz if he wanted to, too.
Yagyu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad, I haven`t even heard about them.

I will be grateful to know if anybody wants to cooperate on one of these projects:
- ethnic jazz like shakti, but maybe based on different tradition than Indian, I was thinking about arabian, Chinese, Japanese and Bulgarian (once I was playing in violin/clasical guitar duo jazz interpretation of traditional chinese song "All the blossom of spring" it was great);
- something which was once considered a great new direction in jazz but sadly had been discontinued: modal head and solos over the minimalist (in the sense of repetitive/pulse music of Terry Riley and Steve Reich, not drone music of La Monte Young) acompaniament (and if someone would like to take part in recording Riley`s "In C", it would be great);
- jazz tunes in unusual metros such like 9/8, 11/8, 15/16 and os on (I have such tunes, but never got occasion to perform them:/);

And sorry for my english I`m ill and got high temperature, normally it`s better.
Mark004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all this seems to have been way before my time, but what the hell.

BUMP
JohnB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im over in Preston, UK so i could try and get something recorded in the next few months and submit it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Let's Jam! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: