PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction to a new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Hedrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Introduction to a new member Reply with quote

I've been playing "at" guitar for about 30 years now, mostly self-taught and mostly as a hobby. However, I have been in some local bands and played out at some decent venues with bands that we referred to as on their "way back down" tours. Our style was pretty much classic rock with a little country thrown in just for good measure. That being said, I was only a fair to middling rhythm and sometimes bass player. Recently I have become interested in jazz as a genre and am now pursuing that line of study. I remember back in high school there were some guys taking jazz lessons and I could never understand why since all I wanted to sound like was Peter Frampton or Don Felder from the Eagles. Now I find myself taking jazz lessons from a local teacher here in town. Even though I have a 1983 Les Paul (among other guitars) I still wanted to purchase a "jazz box" to help encourage my interest and enthusiasm for the new genre. I looked around and decided to spend a reasonable amount of money on an Ibanez af84e, it is a dead ringer for a Gibson es 125 and sounds and plays almost as good as my Les but with a decided jazz tone. I then purchased a new amp to further get the sound I was looking for and decided upon a Fender Blues Junior after scanning the boards on this forum. I have been a "lurker" here for several weeks and decided to come out and formally introduce myself. It looks like you all have a great group of supportive musicians on here and I look forward to a long association and the opportunity to interact with many of you over the weeks and months. I realize that I have embarked on a long journey but I am enjoying it so far and know that it will only improve with my knowledge and ability. Sorry I'm so long winded but I'm very excited about the whole thing and glad I found this forum.

Brad
Martacus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

Welcome aboard! It's a long journey, but think of it as a cruise to Alaska - it's long, the weather may get cold, but it's beautiful and interesting and you'll see things you never thought existed. Good choices on the instruments and amps, and please ask questions as they come up! Want some recommended listening?

And THAT makes me think - hey gang, how about everyone start posting 3 albums they love? Doesn't have to be the "THIS CHANGED MUSIC" stuff, but it COULD be that too, just pick three you REALLY dig, right off the top of your head - stuff you'd grab if you had to leave your house FAST, and not come back. (After the wife/kids/dogs/fish/guitars - although I don't know how I'm gonna carry my fish...)

Mine?
1. Jimmy Raney's "The Influence"
2. Emily Remler/Larry Coryell "Together"
3. Wes Montgomery "Boss Guitar"
www.martypowerjazz.com
Quinn Brown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Many of the people here, myself including, are still beginners in the jazz world, and will be for a long while more, so don't feel like you're alone. This place is very very helpful to people with questions, so if you ever need something all you have to do is post a topic like you did here, and in a day or two you'll get more than you need in responses!

As for three albums I love:

1. Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
2. Kenny Burrell w/ John Coltrane
3. Django Reinhardt - In A Sentimental Mood
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also new here- 1st post. I hope you don't mind me stepping on your toes, Brad... Wink ...seemed like a good time to start posting.

I've been playing about 14 years, used to play semi-pro (once or twice a week) but took some time offf, and am getting back into it. Top three records (as of this minute) would be;

1. Eddie Harris- The In Sound
2. Art Blakey- Ugetsu
3. Ahmad Jamal- Live at the Pershing
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're listing jazz-ish CDs I'd have to make sure to take with me...

Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Al di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

although close others would be John Coltrane - Giant Steps, Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior, and Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - Little Worlds.
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Brad & Dewey!

Top 3 that I'm currently listening to:

1 - Bireli Legrene - "Blue Eyes"
2 - Wes Montgomery - "Boss Guitar"
3 - Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" the one with the false starts, alternate takes and in-between dialogue.

Paul
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
OK. i didnt get any grief from anyone on my selections. they are bogus entries. Cool

Yes, they are bogus entries, but they are smooth bogus entries!! Laughing
draqza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the Kenny G, but I was gonna let the other two go anyway...
alfonso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Igiro I caught it as well, Earl Klugh even claims on his website that he started playing smooth jazz before alot others. He is an amazing guitarist none the less, his recordings he did with Chet Atkins early in his career are some of his best, I couldn't get enough of it, oh and welcome to the newbies. Oh yeah, everyone picked mine, but I won't snivel, I'll just say we all have good taste he he, and I'll pick 3 more.

1. Joe Pass "Meditation"

2. Dexter Gordon 'Round Midnight

3. The Charlie Byrd Quintet Du Hot Club De Concord
steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top three currently absorbed in:

1. Interstellar Space - Coltrane
2. Dexter Gordon Blue note box set
3. Mingus Big Band Live - Double album can't remember name!
Quinn Brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:

3. Mingus Big Band Live - Double album can't remember name!

Live In Time?
Brad Hedrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... this is my home and these are my people??? This is just what I was referring to, a dynamic group who don't take themselves too seriously. I'm glad I've got somewhere else to turn for direction, everyone seems so helpful here and I only see my instructor once a week, so that leaves a lot of time in between to get lost. By the way, I'm only beginnig to build my jazz collection, so this is a great topic that has been appended. How about starting a new thread that lists the "must haves" in anyones collection. I'm sure there would be a great amount of consensus on some of them. Brad
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey welcome Brad, i'm a new one too!

how about Toots Thielman--Brazil Project volumes 1 and 2
Maria Rita--Segundo (I'd like more guitar in that but great stuff!)
Jim Hall and Paul Desmond--Love to be Unhappy
Pat Metheny Group--Speaking of Now
Wes Montgomery--the artistry of Wes montgomery --all the tunes are great to me, Round Midnight one of the nicest.
Patricia Barber==Nightclub (I like some of her CDs better than other, she's very experimental and puts herself on the line a lot, this one seems really great, I'd love to play her pno parts on guitar

Brazjazz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: