PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moderator selection?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Moderator selection? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Chris put out an all call for a mod (this group is growning enough to need one) and I'm going to ask if anyone wants to be a mod before I throw in the cloth?

This is a great group of folks and though most often trolls wouldn't be entertained enough to even stop here, there has been enough crossings of less than favorable mention to start getting serious about managing 'our' board.

Any volunteers?
alfonso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,
There's plenty of IT people/guitarplayers on here who would most likely jump at the chance. My first question is are you going for it, I'm not qualified I'm not an IT type of guy. Maybe from your post something will pop up but I couldn't really tell if you want to be nominated, if you did you're the man I think you'd do a great job. later
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second or third Gorecki. You/he is a reasonable guy who undestands. Still can't figure what is his avatar.

What is a troll in this context?

Last edited by Viper on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Quinn Brown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a troll is someone who comes and spams the board with useless junk, just to be annoying. i wouldn't think anyone would want to mess this board up, but ever since that hacking incident...
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
There are useless ***'s about Sad
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROLL TROLL TROLL

JAZZ IS STOOPID

U GUYS R GAY

TROLL TROLL
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
TROLL TROLL TROLL

JAZZ IS STOOPID

U GUYS R GAY

TROLL TROLL

Isn't that a Pantera tune? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
Gorecki,
There's plenty of IT people/guitarplayers on here who would most likely jump at the chance. My first question is are you going for it, I'm not qualified I'm not an IT type of guy. Maybe from your post something will pop up but I couldn't really tell if you want to be nominated, if you did you're the man I think you'd do a great job. later

Realistically, a mod for the phpbb forum software is basically an expanded permission set so that allows the mod to manipulate/remove postings of less than favorable content.

This would be a relatively simple site to moderate because most people here are very well behaved and mature (even the younger ones) compared to many others so I doubt it would be a full time job.

I wouldn't mind being the mod (I'm certainly qualified) but if anyone else would like the post, I'm hoping they'll speak up.

In anycase one should be established, and I would also think that being familiar with Chris's 'Play what you here' product would be somewhat of a requirement as I think this forum was spawned as a support board for it when it comes down to it.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper's drag wrote:
I would second or third Gorecki. You/he is a reasonable guy who undestands. Still can't figure what is his avatar.

It's part of an EP cover I never released, the center circle is key signatures for a 'circle of fifths' like geometric association. The outer circle astrological symbols and in the middle colors and gradients of the rainbow. In so many words suggesting they are all related and relative to each other.

I can go into music composition by geometry lecture if you'd like but I doubt you'll stay awake long enough. Laughing
draqza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
viper's drag wrote:

It's part of an EP cover I never released, the center circle is key signatures for a 'circle of fifths' like geometric association. The outer circle astrological symbols and in the middle colors and gradients of the rainbow. In so many words suggesting they are all related and relative to each other.

I can go into music composition by geometry lecture if you'd like but I doubt you'll stay awake long enough. Laughing

That reminds me of what the guy from Watchtower/Spastic Ink did for "composing" riffs on some recent stuff. Not necessarily geometric per se, I think he basically took the circle of 5ths and rearranged it, and then did some other stuff with it... hehe, I don't really understand it, here's a website discussing it though:

http://www.ronjarzombek.com/rj12tone.html
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draqza wrote:
Gorecki wrote:
viper's drag wrote:

That reminds me of what the guy from Watchtower/Spastic Ink did for "composing" riffs on some recent stuff. Not necessarily geometric per se, I think he basically took the circle of 5ths and rearranged it, and then did some other stuff with it... hehe, I don't really understand it, here's a website discussing it though:

http://www.ronjarzombek.com/rj12tone.html

Yep, that's pretty much it, take the colors used and connect the dots with lines, instant geometry. Wink

With the idea you can take a 'shape' and invert it and you've go a set of 'out' tones to work with against the original shape. It goes WAY beyond that to the degree of involving a calculator. Laughing
ed norton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e read allot of this board and don't remember anything worthy of deleting. If something sucks am I supposed to say I like it? If You post something and ask for feedback, be prepared to be criticized. that is reality. Censorship is the antithesis of what jazz represents. I don't support a faux utopian fantasy world where everyone kisses ass. If You are a beginner, fine, go practice. Also people should represent who they really are. I don't care about fake names, but fake clips are bad.There are some obvious fake people on this board. Opinions are subjective, and unless someone gets nasty in a personal attack, I see no reason to delete anything. Stop all the lies and ass kissing and keep it real. Unless people want to listen to music piped in by the government, and take medication that makes them be oh so nice; well that sounds like Orwellian to me.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are some obvious fake people on this board

Ooooh. No he DIDN'T.

I don't remember anybody posting anything that seemed ripped off from someone else.

I mean, if the top amatuer guitarists use the internet, where else do you think they'd be? Smile
draqza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily think they're talking about censoring... more like, say, on my "The Unjazz thread," if you look at the first reply, it's either a bot or a human spammer, but just pimping a website in the signature and that's it. That's the type of stuff that should be deleted.
draqza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

*smiles and nods at Gorecki*

I think I'll focus on the more standard approach for now without getting too hung up on rearranging the circle. (I like the bit he drops about how if you can't write a riff from the diminished stuff to go back to heavy metal writing 101 though.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: