PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moderator selection?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed norton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool, but I wouldn't be surprised if some wacko intentionally tried to create a character and post as if it where the character playing. Sounds fun I might try it, not here. I'm sure Dragza is dying to criticize me; when my time is as good as Jazzerman, Paul, and Steve, I'll post. Still needs work to be put in that arena. Those guys are real great players. Allot of other great clips as well. Draggy You don't need heavy metal, how bout some blues and some straight melody stuff, that would be cool. Start singing dude. Peace guys.
alfonso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,
Are you saying you don't have a copy of Play what you hear, I don't either maybe Chris will break off a copy for the moderator to become familiar with, you know as a perk.

Quote:
In anycase one should be established, and I would also think that being familiar with Chris's 'Play what you here' product would be somewhat of a requirement as I think this forum was spawned as a support board for it when it comes down to it.
[/quote]
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed norton wrote:
Ok cool, but I wouldn't be surprised if some wacko intentionally tried to create a character and post as if it where the character playing. Sounds fun I might try it, not here. I'm sure Dragza is dying to criticize me; when my time is as good as Jazzerman, Paul, and Steve, I'll post. Still needs work to be put in that arena. Those guys are real great players. Allot of other great clips as well. Draggy You don't need heavy metal, how bout some blues and some straight melody stuff, that would be cool. Start singing dude. Peace guys.

I'm confused as how to take this post. If it was intended to be sarcastic, feel free to ignore the rest of this response.

a) Why would I be dying to criticise you? I don't recall off the top of my head whether I've heard any of your clips, but either way I know I'm in no position to negatively criticise anybody, nor do I have any particular desire to. I mean, listen to the crap I posted in the Unjazz thread (the more I listened to it the more I considered deleting it, except that I realized there were a few cool bits in it), or recall my slightly out-of-tune rendition of "my favorite things."

b) I happen to like heavy metal, I do play some blues, I'm not sure what you're referring to by "straight melody stuff," and I have no interest in singing. At least, not for singing's sake. It occurred to me the other day that if I *did* sing a bit, it might help me take the melodies from my head and let them out through my fingertips; to that end, perhaps someday when I have more free time I will.
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the time I followed this I have never seen anything that really got up my nose. Even a rather crude attempt at product placement was quicky shown for what it was. I may disagree with some of what is said but thats the point.

As for anonymity it is very useful. You might stop buying my records if you knew who I was. Very Happy

I did think of posting a Jim Hall track to see if anyone noticed but then again not so funny really.

People seem to respect one another and mostly stay cool.

I am not sure what
Quote:
fake people
are... Elephants pretending to be jazz musicians.

What we need is a moderate moderator.
alfonso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point viper and "product placement" shouldn't be a requirement but surely not my decision to make, I wonder if anyone has emailed Chris about being the moderator? I wouldn't apply, I'm not qualified but others might be interested and if you are, maybe you should email Chris as I'm sure that's what he's waiting for, just a thought. peace Laughing

Quote:

[/quote]
C. OSullivan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen objectionable material really on this board, which is the past 6 or 7 months. Chris has moderating powers, am I right?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. OSullivan wrote:
I haven't seen objectionable material really on this board, which is the past 6 or 7 months. Chris has moderating powers, am I right?

Yep he does! Time I believe is probably a bit more of the problem. Chris and I have already started things in motion for getting this place updated managed, secure, expanded and spit shined.

We're getting ready to lay out updates and take it from there, I'll keep ya'll posted. Wink

This place has been growing steadily and with a 'possibility' of an entirely additional group (GuitarMadeSimple) being incorporated...thinks are looking pretty cool. Cool
alfonso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Gorecki, I was wondering if you were going for it, congrats. later
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
Right on Gorecki, I was wondering if you were going for it, congrats. later

Actually he contacted me. Wink But wasn't but minutes before I was going to contact him.

Things are relatively even around here but there are some serious updates to the system that need to be done.

So, since that cat's out of the bag (so to speak). Any desires for forum types, features or related you guys would like to see?
alfonso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,
Since you asked I was wondering if there could be a section where we could upload files we could share, I have just a couple but there mine, I know about copyrights. I'm talking about educational type lessons, like what I have is a couple of nice rhythm progression excercises. peace
ed norton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper's drag wrote:
In the time I followed this I have never seen anything that really got up my nose. Even a rather crude attempt at product placement was quicky shown for what it was. I may disagree with some of what is said but thats the point.

As for anonymity it is very useful. You might stop buying my records if you knew who I was. Very Happy

I did think of posting a Jim Hall track to see if anyone noticed but then again not so funny really.

I am not sure what
Quote:
fake people

You see Vipey, that's what I consider fake and You take it to a new level by adding manipulative. I don't care who you are, I don't get star struck. Someone could be a great player , but they are still just another person. To say oh I don't want to reveal my oh so important identity, well blow me bitch. I probably don't buy Your records, so I wouldn't worry about it. I can't think of any English jazzmen I like, except Taylor and Mcglaughlin, and even if You are them I still say go **** yourself. If You are such a bad ass player then go ahead and tell us who, otherwise stop with all Your unfunny sarcastic dribble.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
Gorecki,
Since you asked I was wondering if there could be a section where we could upload files we could share, I have just a couple but there mine, I know about copyrights. I'm talking about educational type lessons, like what I have is a couple of nice rhythm progression excercises. peace

The only problem with the idea is file storage, I havenít been completely briefed on what Chris has available or be willing to sacrifice.

It absolutely can be attained if not locally, through a shared space.

One thing that will be part my job is to keep this place secure. Unfortunately the forum software is based on a language that has thousands of outstanding security issues so making it 'jerk proof' will be somewhat of a challange.

I do expect to put up with approval a 'Tutorials and Training' section in the forums.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
here's an idea. (probably a bad one) there is another site that lists the "top 100' musicians of this type or that, including jazz guitarists.

it is authoritarian as opposed to democratic, and although many forum members object and provide impassioned input, the crappy list never gets changed. (downbeat solves this problem by having a critics list and a readers poll.) further, after about 45-50 names the ranking becomes insignificant, indistinguishable, and uninteresting (the ranking that is, not necessarily the players).

i think it might be interesting to have a top 50 jazz guitarists of all time list, and have it be a forum member's list to be debated and voted on. i think we would come up with a better list, and have a lot of fun. we could even drop over there and point people to this site. Cool

That would be very cool, I would have to do some custom programming to create/keep an on going 'vote list' for this but that's not rocket science.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And it will stay that way I hope, I have no desire to be put into the position of having to 'ban' or give 'two week vacations' for bad behavior. I hope to mostly have to (very rarely) clean up some spamming.

Outside of that, my primary purpose will be to take the technical load of Chris's shoulders. Not..to be bossman!
draqza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed norton wrote:
viper's drag wrote:

I am not sure what
Quote:
fake people

You see Vipey, that's what I consider fake and You take it to a new level by adding manipulative. I don't care who you are, I don't get star struck. Someone could be a great player , but they are still just another person. To say oh I don't want to reveal my oh so important identity, well blow me bitch. I probably don't buy Your records, so I wouldn't worry about it. I can't think of any English jazzmen I like, except Taylor and Mcglaughlin, and even if You are them I still say go **** yourself. If You are such a bad ass player then go ahead and tell us who, otherwise stop with all Your unfunny sarcastic dribble.

As an aside... it strikes me funny that the first instance I've seen here of what essentially amounts to trolling, is happening on the moderator selection thread. Ed, you seem hell-bent on picking fights on this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: