PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have experience with Guitar Made Simple?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience with Guitar Made Simple? Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a question for your experience using Guitar Made Simple vs. PWYH. Many of you might recognize this sort of situation...I have gotten into SO MANY beginning guitar programs and seem to have learned IN SPITE of some of these, often picking up different things from different courses. I filled out the questionnaire honestly and it probably would make more sense on the surface to start with Made Simple, rather than PWYH....at the same time PWYH sounds pretty interesting.

Has anyone started with PWYH then decided they needed something more basic, then gone to Guitar Made Simple and found that the way to go?

All of this looks good to me and I'm very happy to have found this forum.

Perhaps someone has some experience to share with either of these courses.

As for my experience, I can readily do some things not others. I'm a professional and need to really put daily time into the practicing. Not having done this consistently is probably the main thing which kept me from being able to answer YES to all the questions on that questionnaire, since I am familiar with all those concepts, just can't honestly say that I can pull them off easily.

I guess my fundamental question is, if I have the resources to learn and be able to answer yes to all the very relevant questions on that questionnaire, would I be ready for the PWYH? OR is Made Simple so differently constructed that I would find it helpful to the whole route of entry level jazz guitar with many holes and many "nearly theres"

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS I'm not at all concerned abt which program to BUY, it sounds like both are well worth supporting--I'm most concerned abt where to put my time once it comes in the mail. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go to the guitarmadesimple.com site and take the test? The test should give you an idea where your weaknesses stand (we all have em) and may give you a better idea if it would prove useful for you.

Otherwise, it's actually very new so I haven't heard any feedback or seen the product. Confused
Brazjazz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gorecki!

I did do the questionnaire and IMO, that questionnaire does describe a very reasonable "core curriculum". I mailed Chris, who thought Guitar Made Simple would be apropos. He's trying this one out maybe after responding to questions re. the PWYH course. Fair enough, I say!

He emphasized that the Made Simple is really a step by step approach and that is what seems to be missing in most of what I've tried before.

I'll report back on my experience with this. It may well be a very useful "prep course" for PWYH. And you're right we all have weaknesses, I'd add not the same ones!! (to the consternation of students, players, teachers and course writers all!)

all best,

braz
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my delayed followup, been a little busy lately.

As I understand it I'll be able to get familiar with GuitarMadeSimple pretty soon so I'll hopefully be able to give some feedback as well.

But by all means, please tell us what you think after you've had some time with it. Wink
Kspaan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did purchase the Guitar Made Simple because I was definitely a beginner. I have been "teaching" myself from various books and just kind of messing around. I got serious about six months ago and was working through Mel Bay but I was concerned that I was missing stuff because there is very little "commentary" built into the books.

I have had Guitar Made Simple for a couple of weeks and I have made it through Lesson 6. I started at the beginning and listened, read and watched everything to see if I could identify any bad habits I had taught myself. The videos and the pictures are excellent at just verifying what I have learning and answering questions. The hand drawn pictures in some of the books just don't help a lot of times.

Most sections I have breezed through (to this point Lesson 6) but there have been times where I have come on a skill that I hadn't learned, used or practised and I would be on an excercise for a couple of days.

I learned only the major 6th string barre chords so I have been learning and practicing the other three forms introduced through lesson 6. My sense is that from here on out I will be learning all new stuff and am working in real time.

My final goal is that that the Guitar Made Simple will prepare me for PWYH which is what I am also very interested in. The quality of the course is very good (audio and video clips as well as the instruction) and I am really enjoying the discussions of "why" you do things. It helps me to retain and to take the time to learn the skill or technique fluidly if I understand why I need to know that before I can move on.

I hope that helps to answer your questions from someone using the course.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the status guys, hows the course work coming? Awesome!
Kspaan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking.

The course is going very well. I'm on lesson 21 and "living" with getting smooth on 5th and 6th string barre chords. That was a skill I let atrophy for five years while the kids were being born and it is quickly coming back.

I am very impressed with the course and am enjoying both the structure of having a direction to go, but also having the flexibility of being able to explore lots of different songs within a lesson and live with the concepts for as long as I need to be smooth.

I am pretty goal oriented and having the next button there to take me to Lesson 22 makes my fingers itch, but I am trying to have concepts and skills down before adding more.

I am 8 months into my 10 year goal of being able to play jazz guitar and I am satisfied with my progress and the path I have laid out. I can't wait to get into some more complex things, but I want to have the basics down as second nature so I don't have to think about them.

Thanks.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! From the sounds of it and the progress you've made, you'll be ready for Play What You Hear in no time! Mr. Green
Kspaan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I am working towards.

Five years ago when I was practicing all the time without any real instruction I was busy building skills like a wall. I got the wall about knee high but I am finding that I missed bricks all over the place so as I'm going through, I'm filling in those gaps.

Half of my problem was figuring out the type of guitar music I was hearing in my head. Once I was able to identify it as jazz I really saw the progress begin.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kspaan wrote:
That is what I am working towards.

Five years ago when I was practicing all the time without any real instruction I was busy building skills like a wall. I got the wall about knee high but I am finding that I missed bricks all over the place so as I'm going through, I'm filling in those gaps.

Half of my problem was figuring out the type of guitar music I was hearing in my head. Once I was able to identify it as jazz I really saw the progress begin.

Keep on keeping on. Be patient, learn the material.

As for what you're hearing in your head. I've got some very bad news. The better a 'musician' you become, the more complex the music in your head becomes. I dunno? Getting it through your hands is a challenge but don't worry, you've got plenty of time to sort it all out. Smile
Kspaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouragement.

I think it was Jamie Andreas that said envision where you want to be in 10 years as a guitarist and then begin to work towards it. Eight months ago when I started 10 years sounded like a long time, but being almost through the first year I'm finding out it goes quicker than I thought.

I am enjoying the journey and being able to look back a few months and see the progress I have made. Small compared to where I have to go, but after the five years off it is nice to be moving in the right direction again.
N4KMA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
So what's the status guys, hows the course work coming? Awesome!

I also purchased the program and man I am thrilled with it. The bar chords for me are killers as well but they are becoming easier and easier everyday. The best part about the course is that you can go at your own pace. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to start playing guitar. Chris does a great job teaching the course. Very simple to understand! I can't wait to get to the next course. Gotta run practice, practice, practice... Cool
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Cool
jokron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kspaan...still on track?

From your posting it seems you're a guy that likes structure and has a systematic, goaloriented approach to your playing.

I'm there myself, for now trying to make my own training program from reading on the net, and this forum in particular. I have also found the Aebersold concept with play-a-long-tracks very attractive and ordered some books and CD:s.

I understand the main advantage wit the course is the stepwise guidance you get. You see the road, the milestones ahead and can even look back to get satisfaction from the results you achieve...Do I get you right? The content of the course cannot be very different from what you find on the net, in forums and when talking to jazz people, it's scales, modes, chords, alterations and so on...

I made the test and was recommended by Chris to buy the course, but hesitated...and still do...can it be what that I need to get structure and to move forward at a steady speed in the right direction...

The learning process is different for different people. I think I'm the kind that wants it in small pieces and have a "lesson-chart" where I can make a sign and say to myself "OK, now I've passed lesson 22". But at the same time I want to make music and not only be very good at practising scales, chords and knowing all the theory. I wanna feel the swing factor, enjoy the music I make and play from my heart and not mainly from my brain...

Well many words again from me, but I'm kind of searching guidance and trying different approaches...

/Jan Olof
bluestraveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased GMS in April. I have been playing and taking lessons for a while but flunked the online test. Right now I am using GMS for the sight reading. I have mastered the open string sight reading exercises and have moved on to do them with the G-scale. The course does not tell you to do this explicitly but it seems logical to do it this way. I plan on doing the same with the two remaining scales in the book - A and D I believe. I have read the entire course through and appreciated the depth. Once I have mastered all four scales I am then going to continue with the course which has material I already am familiar with. I am anticipating it will take about a year to get the four scales down. I do the sight reading exercises 10 - 15 minutes every day. I have already memorized all five minor pentatonic patterns from another course - John Ganapes "Blues you can use" book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: