PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have experience with Guitar Made Simple?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kspaan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokron ~

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I haven't been checking out this link on a regular basis.

Yes, I am very systematic in my process. I like to have a list of things I need to learn and then mark them off one by one.

First of all, I really wanted to do the Play What You Hear but knew that I wasn't ready for that. The thing I liked about GMS was that it prepared you for the next course. So, that was attractive.

The second thing I liked about it was the Video aspect. Chris is able to actually show the things he is talking about. I am able to see as many times as I need (many!) exactly how the I should be doing things.

The third requirment was time and money. For the structure, instruction and package, it was inexpensive for me. With two kids I generally get 30 minutes in the morning while they are still sleeping to practice. Having my instructor and music there whenever I have a moment was worth a lot.

Like everyone I have collected an overwhelming amount of materials and the neat thing is that Chris designed the course as an outline. You learn the concept but then he encourages you to explore it further in different books with other musicians, etc.

I had been "learning" for several years on my own and my technique was a mess so I have spent the last six months working on the C and G Scales and getting my fingers "neat". Mrs. Niggles won't let me proceed onto the D scale until I have my pinkie completely under control.

But, I have just passed my one year anniversary of my commitment to be somewhere in 10 years and I am significantly improved. I can see that once I get these building blocks down that I will be in good shape.

Once again sorry for the delay and I hope that this helps a little bit. Good luck!
jokron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kspaan...

Thanks for your reply...

I'm trying to get systematic with learning tunes and going through some Aebersold material about major and minor, dom7 and II-V-I...and for theory I'm waiting for the Mark Levine book "The Jazz Theory Book" to show up in my mailbox...

I shall also try transcribing...

/Jan Olof

Miles Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Guitar Made Simple" Course All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: