PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

life span of a pick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddinjax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: life span of a pick Reply with quote

Like most players I tried many picks before finding what worked best for me (2mm big stubby - big pick=big tone) but never thought twice about how long I used one. Well the other day while playing it struck me that my sound was somehow not "right". For no reason known to me, I grabbed a new pick and was astonished at the newfound clarity of sound, chords and lines. How long do you use a pick before replacing?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: life span of a pick Reply with quote

toddinjax wrote:
Like most players I tried many picks before finding what worked best for me (2mm big stubby - big pick=big tone) but never thought twice about how long I used one. Well the other day while playing it struck me that my sound was somehow not "right". For no reason known to me, I grabbed a new pick and was astonished at the newfound clarity of sound, chords and lines. How long do you use a pick before replacing?

I usually have about 6-10 picks around (exact same kind as you, actually), and when they lose their point I throw em out and go to a fresh one.
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till it breaks or gets as crappy as yours apparently did, I use a 1.00 Clayton=three corner or triangle, to be honest I never gave it much thought till you brought it up and the fact that you noticed such a difference says how bad of shape your pick was in, and that is a thick pick.
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always lose all of mine because I'm... I don't know what I am... young?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSecretia wrote:
I always lose all of mine because I'm... I don't know what I am... young?

Hardly! Laughing

I use dunlop Jazz III's and I'll lose them far more quickly than I'll ever wear them out. So I keep a jar with 30-50 of them available, a couple in my wallet and a dozen or so scattered thru the house, studio, bedroom..etc. Wink
draqza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually replace my picks either when they break or when I lose them. My pick of choice right now is fender celluloid mediums, I guess I've only ever actually had them break because I have a tendency to hold the pick in my mouth/chew on it when I'm playing fingerstyle or looking up something online. I have started to notice the edges degrading a little bit, helped along by pickscrapes, but I've never actually had one degrade to the point of "this doesn't sound right."
Quinn Brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever used one pick for more than 3 days. I use .38mm when I play my acoustic (for a very sharp tone), and I'm always breaking those. On my electric, which I rarely even play, I use thick picks that I'm ALWAYS losing. I think I pay more on picks each year than my guitar even costs.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn Brown wrote:
I don't think I've ever used one pick for more than 3 days. I use .38mm when I play my acoustic (for a very sharp tone), and I'm always breaking those. On my electric, which I rarely even play, I use thick picks that I'm ALWAYS losing. I think I pay more on picks each year than my guitar even costs.

Man, that's truly sad. Crying or Very sad

Many be you can get one with a GPS installed? Laughing
draqza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or one of those ice picks that sticks to the body? I think that's what they're called anyway... *visualizes Quinn attacking his guitar with an icepick*
dchos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Fender 345 ( I think that's the right one.. ), heavy, classic celluloid. They are a large triangular pick with 3 points that some people call a bass pick. I never lose them, never wear them out ( flatwound strings will also prolong the life of a pick ) & some I've had for over ten years....
jazznote

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: life span of a pick Reply with quote

toddinjax wrote:

hehehe, it depends on the material of the pick. i've been using the same brazilian stone pick for 22 years, still think it suits me best. stone doesn't wear. in those 22 years it got lost once for three months, i was VERY happy when i unexpectedly found it aggain when i was cleaning out the bottom of one of my desks drawers Smile
2003 L5 CES, 1999 LeGrand, Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp, Ernie Ball Stereo Volume Pedal, AER Compact 60 Amps, Clarus 2R amp, Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 cabinets
Yagyu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m always losing pick before it`s worn out Wink
ed norton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swore them off about 6 years ago. I use a combination of different right hand techniques, but always bare. It's not for everyone, but I like it. I didn't say Iv'e mastered any Laughing but I use; Thumb alone (wes sound), first finger alone(Benson sound), thumb and first finger(Folky country blues sound), thumb and Three fingers(chet sound), thumb and four fingers(well that's the "me" sound). I can't really play like any of the people I listed, but I sure try anyway.Water is the enemy, it messes up the calluses. Unfortuanetely my common law wife insists that I shower Laughing , and I do allot of dishes. I try to always wear gloves...
Jazznote you are interesting. I'll bet you are a monster. Do you know kurt Rosenwinkel?. I know he lives in Switzerland and I'm a big fan. Thanks for the detailed theory info, it's always appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: