PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz? Reply with quote

Totally serious, what do you do?
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol....my office is right next to my boss's office. Sometimes he closes his door and I suspect it's to shield his ears from the music I'm playing. I notice it happens most when I'm listening to jazz. He's a cool boss, so it's not like he'd tell me to stop listening to music while I work, but I think he just doesn't like a lot of what I play. I could be wrong, he could just be closing his door for some privacy. But he sometimes asks about some of the more commercial non-jazz stuff I play, yet he's never asked me about the jazz stuff I play...and I play a ton at work.

As to people hating it, I don't know what to suggest other than to ignore them and feel smugly superior to them. Wink They're really missing out on a great art form. I think most jazz wouldn't be outright painful to listen to for someone who doesn't like it. I mean, you aren't really gonna play Ascension or Ohm around those types of people...that might be pushing it. I guess headphones are always an option.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
lol....my office is right next to my boss's office. Sometimes he closes his door and I suspect it's to shield his ears from the music I'm playing. I notice it happens most when I'm listening to jazz. He's a cool boss, so it's not like he'd tell me to stop listening to music while I work, but I think he just doesn't like a lot of what I play. I could be wrong, he could just be closing his door for some privacy. But he sometimes asks about some of the more commercial non-jazz stuff I play, yet he's never asked me about the jazz stuff I play...and I play a ton at work.

As to people hating it, I don't know what to suggest other than to ignore them and feel smugly superior to them. Wink They're really missing out on a great art form. I think most jazz wouldn't be outright painful to listen to for someone who doesn't like it. I mean, you aren't really gonna play Ascension or Ohm around those types of people...that might be pushing it. I guess headphones are always an option.

I'm mostly referring to people in my immediate life. hell at work, you got it good dude! I spend my days in an area that somewhat simulates the belly of a submarine and as I work for the NAVY I guess that's relative? Confused Doing ANYTHING that comes across relaxed seems to get questioned...

But nobody in my immediate world barely enjoys music let alone jazz and it's starting to drive me nuts. I even had a dragout over it this evening. "I don't know why you like that old people stuff" sort of conversation basis doesn't even leave a starting point let alone a point to defend.

I've tried incremental musical guided tours (so to speak) and it's just not there for them. So...I do my job (parent and employment) and I wanna play (not lame'o cha cha) and I don't really want to gig..that's soooooo far behind me...what the hell does one do to maintain their sanity while honoring their desire...and their family?

Wow, I maybe even getting too thick for this group? Laughing
Martacus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tough question. I decided to marry my wife when we saw Bruce Forman in SF; we saw the first show, and at that point I expected the usual "OK let's go", so I told her "we can go now". Her reply was "No, I want to see the next set". Hmmm, this girl's a keeper. (She also busted my chops to start gigging again, but DON'T play anything but jazz.) I've known WAY too many people who had that "Geez, how do you listen to that stuff? What is this, a cocktail party?" attitude toward, say, Wes or Joe Pass, or the "What the HELL is THAT crap?" toward later Trane or Mclaughlin. I don't have a good answer other than an MP3 player and good headphones. Seriously, man, that's a tough row to hoe.
www.martypowerjazz.com
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I gotta say is your a lucky man Martacus, a very lucky man! I've run into two sorts of ladies. Those I would...umm frequent after playing a show...and those in my *other* world. The first set, 0 functional brain cells, second to stiff to even drink. Your so lucky. Razz
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points! I pickout a nice Joe Pass phrase (just because I like it) and I'm pleased but I get deer in headlights looks from others. But I start playing some Bon Jovi and all is well in the world.

In saying that, realistically, even when I don't want an audience, I have one anyway and all I can do is make them happy once in a while too.

Thanks for helping me think about it that way Igiro!

I did come to a conclusion last night as further discussions carried on. My family is supportive of my musical needs, whether they *like it* or understand it or not is an entirely different conversation.

The really good news is as I have three daughters in the house, I don't have to worry about them getting hooked up with some guy in a band because he's in a band...they're not impressed by that. And even more so if they can't play. Laughing
JakeJew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe well in all honesty I love jazz to study, to play, to listen to as a musician for the concepts, the vocabulary, the artistry of the construction of the line, the groove, the voicings, etc etc etc.

But if I want to put on some good music it's rarely jazz. I mean, for me the line between studious listening and recreational listening gets a little blurry, but if I weren't also studying jazz I think I'd prefer to listen to non-jazz music 95% of the time.

I have a tough time with music that seems like it's designed to only appeal to other serious musicians!

Also, I like a lot of stuff that's just plain wierd. I got that jim hall and pat metheny cd out of the library...I thought it was okay, and then the cd started skipping and I was like "hey, now THIS is cool!" It would sort of be like ::note:: then 10 seconds of silence, then another note...I love that stuff.
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you do? I dunno. just ignore it.

I used ot work in pub with another guitarist.
woman: I like your music what is it?
Me: well jazz I suppose.
woman: Oh, I don't like jazz
But I guess you all have that happen.

Another one unrelated
Do you do requests?
Not usually what did did you want to hear?
Oh, just play anything you like.
Yes, Maam.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martacus wrote:
...I expected the usual "OK let's go", so I told her "we can go now". Her reply was "No, I want to see the next set".

You've got it pretty good. I felt good when my fiancee' sat through an Allan Holdsworth set last year without twitching. He did one of his atmospheric swelling solos that she really liked, but other than that I know she wasn't really getting it. Still cool that she even went and stayed. She even waited for me while I stood in line to get him to sign some swag.
Martacus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
Martacus wrote:
...I expected the usual "OK let's go", so I told her "we can go now". Her reply was "No, I want to see the next set".

You've got it pretty good.

Yeah, I do - she's quite a character, I know I'm lucky. OK, today's International Women's Day, so I have to get something ready for her. Wanna surprise your ladies? Get them flowers/etc. for today - it's a cool thing to do.
www.martypowerjazz.com
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good question, most people I ignore cause if they don't like jazz most of them are non-musicians anyway and if they are musicians I just look at it as a different strokes thing. But check this out, my Brother has always played other stuff, mostly latin/mexican knew nothing about jazz. He didn't even know what a jazz standard was let alone play one. Well, I started a quintet last October I asked him to play bass, his response was hey I'm not a jazz bassist. I said so what? I'm not a lead guitarist either but I'm gonna do it. Anyways to make this story short we started out with a legendary jazz drummer and a really good piano man so my Brother couldn't refuse, the drummer alone and the status he has in the small jazz world of this city was enough to get my Brother to stick it out. I swear the drummer left around a month and a half afterwards and we just got another drummer two weeks ago and we have a girl singer and it's going really well. Of course if we still had the original drummer things could be better but the new drummer sings, even sings solo so that's a plus. Anyways, were having tons of fun and my Brother actually likes jazz now, or appreciates it so he's not talking about leaving or anything. So I don't know you could say in my situation I had someone turn around, well really it was a lucky draw starting out with that caliber of a drummer. peace
dchos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ignore everyone else. Most of my non-jazz friends can appreciate jazz & even come to gigs with me some times, but I'm starting to hear "why can't we listen to normal music" from my wife. The guys I gig with are all much younger than myself (great players too might I add) & so I feel a touch 'out of the loop' in the band situation as well.

I even told one of my wife's friends to "get ...... & go home to listen to your own music if you don't like it here" after comments about "shit music" at a party we had (the music in question was The Stones, Exile..) & that led to some friction. I didn't want to play jazz around that crowd as I'd already had a few comments about "oldies music" but I didn't know that The Stones weren't hip either. Screw 'em, I don't like listening to dance music at their places but at least I'll tolerate it.

Don't compromise, play it anyway. If theydon't want to listen they can get up & leave & if they moan about it ..... tell 'em to go to hell.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up an interest question - is the purpose of our musical persuit to make ourselves happy, to make others happy, some combination of both, or neither?
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, you knew it was time to leave the party when some one said put on the Stones. I can't imagine anyone would listen to them now.

Me, now I do what I please I don't think there is anyone I want impress so I listen to the music I enjoy. A musician being interviewed recently said "I used to listen to Ornette because it was new, now I listen to Ornette because its old. "

As far as listening in hostile environment, headphones are the answer.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
This brings up an interest question - is the purpose of our musical persuit to make ourselves happy, to make others happy, some combination of both, or neither?

I would say collectively all of the above. Some people need external affirmation more so than others. I do it to honor myself, it's my creative vent and means to stay in touch with the spiritual aspects of myself while having to maintain functionality in what seems like a very soulless part of the world.

If someone *gets* something I've done than it is likely a kindred spirit of sorts. And that feels really good when it happens. But, I don't ever expect it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: