PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dchos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify the party thing -

It would be accurate to say that my taste in music is fairly ecclectic. Most days I'll listen to jazz but my cd, tape & vinyl collection ranges from Bach & Handel through Debussy in the western art music genre to Rancid & Voodoo Glow Skulls. It does not however include manufactured soft pop acts such as Kylie or Avril (or electronica for that matter) which constitutes the main musical diet of the rabble in question.

When selecting music for a crowd without polling them, I will select popular or classic rock to try to satisfy a wide demographic, which is why I chose Exile on Main St. Most at the soiree were happy to listen to it but there's one in every crowd.....

You can't please all the people all the time so why even bother ?
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
for a party, a host should have the itention of entertaining guests and making sure they have a good time. food, wine, music, company.

to Jake's question:

1. if you make music only for others, and really know how to do that, you might be Barry Manilow. but you may not last very long or go down in history as one of the all time greats - at anything - other than maybe earnings. if you dont know how to do it well - keep your day job.

2. if you only make music for yourself, then it will depend on your tastes, interests and ability. if they dont have much in common with what most or even a few music fans are looking for......... keep your day job.

3. if you are playing for an audience/market and yourself, I think you will be like most successful artsists who have staying power and a loyal fan base. in other words, such artists certainly target an audience but they are targeting an audience they have something in common with. that is, an interest-love-passion for a particular style of music. i believe that most musicians, especially serious ones are working at being in this "category" whether they think very hard about it or not. and finally, if you're not very good at it..................

well it sounds like you're talking about having a career with music, I'm just talking about any involvement whatsoever.
Martacus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone can't listen to your music at your house, then they're not worthy of the invite. (I don't like current commercial country at all, but I have a friend whose wife listens only to that, and as far as she knows, I like it. My friends' feelings are more important than my musical taste in this case - it's not like your integrity is hurt by listening to stuff you don't like. Hell, maybe you'll hear something you DO like, but wouldn't listen to otherwise. But someone who calls your music 'shit' while at your house should be shown the door forthwith...)
www.martypowerjazz.com
JakeJew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgiro wrote:
"others" may constitute the masses, or it may only constitute their best friend.:

yeah i hear you, i'm definitely thinking of my friends a lot when i play
SteveSecretia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just usually play Eric Dolphy really loud or Ornette Coleman's "Science Fiction"

Sometimes it's best just to go out of your way to be obnoxious.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSecretia wrote:

Sometimes it's best just to go out of your way to be obnoxious.

Yeah sometimes I guess but in a family environment obnoxious don't help a darn thing so I often resort to.. Listening
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: In defense of Jazz Snobs! Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: In defense of Jazz Snobs! Reply with quote

ingeneri wrote:
I recommend only being freinds with people who like jazz. This automatically insures all your social contacts are deep thoughtful people with excellent taste. Do you really want to be around the rest?

Well, I'm not sure about that, the social group you just described in my experience are in need of a CAT scan more than most other general social groups! Laughin my arse off
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: In defense of Jazz Snobs! Reply with quote

ingeneri wrote:
I recommend only being freinds with people who like jazz. This automatically insures all your social contacts are deep thoughtful people with excellent taste. Do you really want to be around the rest?

Oh lordy I hope he's kidding!
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: In defense of Jazz Snobs! Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
ingeneri wrote:

Well, I'm not sure about that, the social group you just described in my experience are in need of a CAT scan more than most other general social groups! Laughin my arse off

Wanna borrow my tackhammer? Laughing
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: In defense of Jazz Snobs! Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
Gorecki wrote:
ingeneri wrote:

Wanna borrow my tackhammer? Laughing

alfonso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do?? I tell them to eat caca and continue playing and listening to jazz. If they have any respect coming, I might lower the volume... Laughing
C. OSullivan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.j

Last edited by C. OSullivan on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
C. OSullivan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeJew wrote:
This brings up an interest question - is the purpose of our musical persuit to make ourselves happy, to make others happy, some combination of both, or neither?

I think the main idea behind creative-type things is to do for the sake of doing.

Last edited by C. OSullivan on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: