PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Recommended Reading / Studies Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: The Recommended Reading / Studies Thread Reply with quote

As per request, lets have one collective thread with recommended books for players of all levels.

Please specify if at all possible.

Player Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced

Pro's & Con's: In your humble opinion

Review: All you have to say or got out of the material

Where: A link to where this material can be located.

None of the above are required, just a simple list to hopefully keep the thread on topic and useful. Wink

Game On! Cool
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Joe's Guitar Method - Joe Goldstein: somewhat intermediate, but an ambitious beginner will get something out of it too. One of the most thorough jazz methods I've seen.
  • The Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick: intermediate. Unquestionably an essential book in any serious guitarist's collection.
  • Jazz Single Note Soloing Vol I & Volume II, Ted Green:intermediate. A great, chord-tone oriented, approach to playing over chords. Covers CAGED patterns thoroughly (probably doesn't call them CAGED though), major, minor, dominant chords, slur, fingering, chord voicings, upper chord tones 9, 4/11, 6/13, etc. Great book!
  • Modern Chord Progressions, Ted Green: Intermediate. Thoroughly covers voicings, chord melody-ish patterns, and voice leading for the most popular chord progressions.
  • How to Practice Jazz - Jerry Coker: beginner. Great book on getting a good regimen together, helps one figure out the most important things to focus on when practicing.
  • Patterns for Jazz, Jerry Coker: beginner to intermediate. Good book for some variations on scale and arpeggio studies, mentioned a lot in "How to Practice Jazz"
  • Inside Improvisation Volumes I-VI, Jerry Bergonzi: (Vol VII is due out any day). Beginner to intermediate. Very thorough course for improvisers dealing with fitting simple tetrachords over different chords, pentatonics, melodic patterns, melodic rhythms, developing a jazz language, all the way to hexatonic scales in vol VII.

That's a couple that came to mind off the top of my head. Wink
Martacus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Tuck Andress' Picking Thesis Reply with quote

Tuck has some interesting observation on picking techniques in this web link:

http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html

There are other good articles there also, such as tone production, etc. Worth reading, and it's all online.
www.martypowerjazz.com
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about W. Leavitt's Modern Guitar Method(Berklee Method) Vol. 1,2 & 3? Anybody who have been with books can share his opinion. I am considering to buy one but I 'm hopin somebody can tell me if it would be a good book. Also the Melodic Rhythms for Guitar auhtored still by Leavitt and Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. Brothers, if anyone of you have reviewed, studied these books, kindly send me a critics of the books... Thanks gurus... I'm just confused what book to buy... I would say I am in very early intermediate level...
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most good pages are blocked from the musicindustrie, now you have to be very fast to download something

www.guitarspace.de
www.renesenn.de
http://bs.cyty.com/visitabilis/gitarre/gitarkrs.htm

berklee have free shareware and you can ask in the forum www.gospelszene.de its for singers, but there are some german jazzguitarplayers who can help

www.peter-bursch.de englisch and german guitar books for selfteatching and the bridge to rock and jazzmusic (used by my self and after this i hope i know enough to understand the cd from chris Laughing )
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but it seems that I cant understand German language...
Information maybe helpful but I couldnt read German.. Thanks anyway...
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

there are little british flags at this pages (at the corners) or the word englisch, if you click on it, the pages switch over in english Wink
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzwat8takes wrote:
What about W. Leavitt's Modern Guitar Method(Berklee Method) Vol. 1,2 & 3? Anybody who have been with books can share his opinion. I am considering to buy one but I 'm hopin somebody can tell me if it would be a good book. Also the Melodic Rhythms for Guitar auhtored still by Leavitt and Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. Brothers, if anyone of you have reviewed, studied these books, kindly send me a critics of the books... Thanks gurus... I'm just confused what book to buy... I would say I am in very early intermediate level...

I'm no guru, but I highly recommend all the books you mentioned. The Berklee method is very good for both reading and for developing basic guitar skills. No tablature (a good thing). The melodic rhythms book is good too, but more as a supplement to your studies, not as the core of your studies. The Kenny Werner book is highly recommended b/c I think the right attitude and self-confidence could be one of the most important elements behind being able to play with conviction/confidence/authority. All 3 books require study and persistent application.

Hope that helps.

Dave
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave.

Thanks for that advice. Well, just bought the Berklee books and the The Advancing Guitarist with the Mark Levines book. I am not so sure if I choose the right book but I do hope this would give me solid foundation to advance my skill. Dave, seems like you have been with many books, if I may ask, what book should I buy to improve my skills in figuring out chords(harmony) of the any song I want at very little time. I often get jealous.. heheheh.. of those who can easily pick-up the right chords of any song instantly on the spot in the jamming session. What area should I focus more?

Thanks. I was a bit delayed on my reply, I was so busy this week for our year-end annual report in the office.
6string83

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay there guys. I have once again picked up one of my favrouite books. It is called zen guitar by philip toshio sudo.this is a brilliant book for anyoe who feel stuck with there playing, wants to have better practice sessions or even just a new aproach to the guitar. have a look
wannabjazzy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Modern Method for Guitar Reply with quote

Just got modern method for guitar by William Leavitt. There seemed to be a lot of good things said about this series out here so I went on amazon and got a very good deal for books 1 &2 and somethng called All Blues for Jazz Guitar.

The book 1 version I got came with a DVD ROM. It is most excellent with EVERY page of the book explained and demonstrated with helpful hints. You just can't go wrong! They've packed in 14 hours of detailed explanation on one dvd!

The book/dvd combo is so good you don't even need a teacher. (well, if ya know how to play a bit already) I've decided to throw in the towel and just start from scratch. I only wish book 2 had a dvd.

For a raw beginner or someone who wants to learn how to read, this combo just can't be beat! The dvd just opens up the whole book in a very dynamic and interesting way. You can learn your lessons on your own and then "check" yourself with the dvd. Plus, you get to play duets just like having a teacher. Very impressive! The good thing is you are not always tied to the computer to learn.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzwat8takes wrote:
Thanks for that advice. Well, just bought the Berklee books and the The Advancing Guitarist with the Mark Levines book. I am not so sure if I choose the right book but I do hope this would give me solid foundation to advance my skill. Dave, seems like you have been with many books, if I may ask, what book should I buy to improve my skills in figuring out chords(harmony) of the any song I want at very little time. I often get jealous.. heheheh.. of those who can easily pick-up the right chords of any song instantly on the spot in the jamming session. What area should I focus more?

Sorry for the (very) late reply. Hope you're still around. And I hope you've gotten something out of those books you got.

It sounds like what you're asking is in the area of ear training, harmonic knowledge and just overall experience with the music. One book that comes to mind is one by Jerry Coker called "hearing the changes". It's a pretty thorough treatment of common chord progressions and common substitutions used over those common forms. There are tons of other good harmony books though, Ted Greene's books are always at the top of the list, and some other newer ones that have come out dealing specifically with substitutions, etc. Ear training can be done without buying any books. There are good sites out there that help too, like http://earplane.com/modules/earplane_main/ and http://www.good-ear.com/ I've had some good luck with David L. Burge's "Relative Pitch" courses (not his Perfect Pitch course --the relative pitch one is much more useful IMO). But they're expensive.

The more you hang out with people who play jazz and jam, the better your experience will be.

HTH

Dave
Jazzy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who haven`t got these books: "How to improvise" by Hal Crook and "The guitarist`s guide to composing and improvising" by Jon Damian. Check it out. Great books Smile
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol..... looks pretty well, letīs open a library with e-books Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: