PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NINJAM!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: NINJAM! Reply with quote

So does anyone have any serious interest in setting up a server for this?

I haven't messed with it yet but want to get a feel if I should even bother.

http://www.ninjam.com I dunno?

David Scott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can think is "WOW"...
I'll get back with you when I become a little more coherent...Oh, the possibilities!
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The developers already host a handful of servers that could be used until they either go away or a server is established of our own.

Again, I haven't messed with the tool and it's likely there will be some configuration elements that will trip people up a bit but it is if anything a vehicle for us to 'jam' and share ideas. Wink
David Scott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how different speed connections will affect it. I play online games with friends, and if someone has a bad connection, it lags the whole team down a bit. It seems latency will be a big issue with something like this. How can everyone keep on time if everyone is hearing the beat at different times? Maybe I'm rambling for nothing...just a thought.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you're spot on. Latency is a huge problem. This tool appears to have some adjustments for latency variances between clients.

Re the game you mentioned, they probably used TCP instead of UDP packets and in turn everyone suffer's. Bad development decision. Cool
David Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went over the website, and read how they address latency. It's pretty strange, but very interesting. It would be cool to have an open mic kind of thing going on. Would there be some way to stream the audio so that others can listen in even if they're not playing?
draqza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Scott wrote:
I just went over the website, and read how they address latency. It's pretty strange, but very interesting. It would be cool to have an open mic kind of thing going on. Would there be some way to stream the audio so that others can listen in even if they're not playing?

I think you can just by participating in the session without actually participating so to speak... modulo the trickery it does for handling latency, it's still sending some version of the sound out to everybody participating in the session. If you just want to listen, all you should have to do join a session but turn off your computer's input levels so you don't feed any sound back.

(Or if you wanted to do something screwy, you could feed back your stereo mix at a low level... basically get a giant wall of sound feedback loop going on...hmmm)
!Mark!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks fun
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be, just takes a bit of planning and patience to make it happen but could be cool. Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
westerling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: jams within your grasp! Reply with quote

Hi,
I jam at ninjam on a regular basis and it's really good for fun! It's not like realtime jamming but much better then BIAB or Abersolds for being creative and learning from other musicians. And the latency is fixed, just read on the homepage. Basically, theres a metrnome tapping and everyone should be in time according to that (or a live drummer/machine). And every1's signal is delayed a bit so that everything is in time. So the call/answers wont be instant but the developing of the jams is really interesting. It is possible to "host" a jazz night on their servers, and then people that want to join in may join. There is already activity like this. On http://ninjamers.ning.com/ there is a ninjam network. There you can meet jammers etc. There are also a jazz group there and a funk and other genres, whitch then can host this sessions. Or another alternative is just to decide the time and server and then just connect. However, this ninjam is great and it's different from playing alone and definately worth a try. Just wanted to share this with you guys! It would be great to jam with you guys sometime so just contact me or join the ninjamers network and let the new world amaze you Smile
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it realy looks cool, but i live in another time zone and nobody is online when im coming from work and have time to play guitar, ....... and i get trouble here if i play guitar deep at night
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Let's Jam! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: