PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

Hello. I have not long joined the forum and thought I should introduce myself.

I live in East Yorkshire, England.

I got into jazz when I was 13 and started to play the guitar when I was 15 and after 2 years sadly gave it up. Many years later I bought another guitar, but through preasure of work, family etc I gave it up again.

I will be 60 in May and decided that I would make an effort to master the guitar and 3 weeks ago I bought another guitar, dug out my old jazz instruction books and started to practice. I have now bought Chris Standrings "play what you hear" book and practicing very hard.

Life is a funny thing. You never think you are going to get old and when you do, regret not doing the things you wish you had done, which means I have a lot of catching up to do with the guitar.

Kind regards Tom[/quote]
dchos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed last year by an ethno-musicologist of some repute that string players don't peak until age 65. I believe that this means technically, ie. regarding motor skills and assuming that the hands and limbs remain disease - free (arthritis, dystonia etc.)

So according to this information Tom you have a few years to go before the downhill slide....
..... good luck !!

Does anyone else have a slant on the age thing ?
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dchos wrote:

Does anyone else have a slant on the age thing ?

Yeah, entirely dependent on the person but the older I get, the less easily the memory retains new information long term.
rsclosson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Yeah, entirely dependent on the person but the older I get, the less easily the memory retains new information long term.[quote] Nonsense! I remember just as well as I did when I was in my '20s.
Also, I remember just as well as when I was in my '20s. Razz
Actually, I have made some of my greatest improvements in the last 5 years (I am 53)
I also remember just as well as I did when I was in my '20s Razz
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead dude, I'll brace myself. Confused
chordspinner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Welcome, Old Tom Reply with quote

Welcome, Old Tom....from older Chordspinner. I'll be 67 this July. Am I the oldest geezer guitar player on the forum? I still love the guitar after starting to play at age 12. I am playing better now than ever in my life because I have the time to practice. And yes, I agree with the memory thing. I have to do something countless times to get it to stick. I have a very unscientific theory: Every second of life puts new data onto the hard disc drive of your brain. Sooner or later some part has got to get full. When you get older you have to do it over and over to crowd something off or it won't stay. Any thoughts?
By the way, I really like this forum. Musicians are really special people and guitar players are the best!
Keep pickin', Old Tom.

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: