PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Satellite Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darylcd wrote:

I love XM, I don't listen to broadcast stations at all anymore. I would give up my big screen TV before I would give up my XM.
Now that's serious! Oh my ?????

I've been curious about XM but honestly I don't think it would matter, it's the commercials I can't stand and from the sounds of it, I'll pass. Smile

When I was younger I'd spend time and did some radio spots at a station called WOAP (We called it Womens Old Army Pants as kids). Only reason I mention it is because you may be familiar with it, though it doesn't even resemble itself anymore we didn't like it because it was mostly 40's music. Then they converted to musak and I knew it was over, later something else, then something else, now its WOAP Rolling Eyes

Point being, it's a hard business, not big bucks in nonstandard formats and it sounds like even XM is already start the path to it's own death.
darylcd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off - There are ZERO commercials on all XM music channels. That's a BIG plus for any type of music. There are 5 jazz channels, including contemporary, traditional, fusion, latin, and vocal. As well as big band and bazillion rock, country, folk, world music, etc. About 100 channels worth. Plus a lot of other stuff news, talk, etc.

And no doubt there is a huge difference in the playlists on smooth jazz channels. The only thing I object to is calling everything that might be played on a smooth jazz channel crap or even calling all melodic 4/4 music crap. Even in jazz, its all about the melody ultimately, otherwise is just improve on a chord structure.

Take rock or country channels for example, for me to hear 1 song I really like, I would have to listen to a dozen that I don't like and probably 3 dozen commercials, but that doesn't mean "rock" sucks.

I know some rockers that feel that anything with more than 3 chords (4 for a slow song) is NOT rock.

Norman Brown doesn't sound like Joe Pass but the guy is awesome and jazzy and so are a LOT of other contemporary artists.

Let's not throw the babies out with the bath.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Discounting the sissy pop stuff that shouldn't even be on a smooth jazz channel, the distasteful stuff for me is a lot of the trite saxaphone led groups. That being said, I will go out on a limb and say that I loved Grover Washington, still do, and if that aint' smooth jazz, I don't know what is. But I love nearly all the guitar led contemporary jazz groups.

Daryl
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appologies, I miss read the part containing the following. Confused

Quote:
endless barrage of commercials.

Unfortunately cable started out the same way and now it just as bad as broadcast TV. Still afraid it will end up there eventually.
darylcd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XM started out with commercials but after their number of subscribers went over 1 million (now over 3 million) they dropped the commercials for music channels. Now Sirius is giving some competition and their very good too. I really doubt you will ever see commercials again on satellite music channels. It's worth 12 bucks a month and you get an internet subscription with that, so you can get everything on your radio and all the music channels where ever you have access to a computer. Once you have it, there ain't no going back.

Daryl
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I'm getting interested, coincidently, I'm do for a new car and one of my still pending 40th BD gifts was a stereo for that car...hmm. Cool

Was just looking at the XM site, there's an XM 72 called 'Beyond Jazz' that looks really cool! Razz
darylcd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XM is the bomb. Becareful, once you play with it you're hooked. I'm serious, it's like a powerful drug. It's like a new hand made archtop with an ebony fretboard.

They also play new CDs before they are released, often interviewing the artist between songs. They also have live concerts.

I hadn't mentioned this before but one artist I hear a lot on the the XM smooth jazz channel (or as they perfer to call it: contemporary jazz) is Chris Standring. Chris on the smooth jazz channel, hmm.........

Daryl
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darylcd wrote:

I hadn't mentioned this before but one artist I hear a lot on the the XM smooth jazz channel (or as they perfer to call it: contemporary jazz) is Chris Standring. Chris on the smooth jazz channel, hmm.........

Yep, that's what he does and from what little of his material I've heard does it pretty well compared to many who seem to all be playing the same song over and over. Laughing
darylcd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki,

You really need to chill. Step back and listen objectively. I fear you may be missing some really great guitar players. The contemporary jazz artists include some amazing guitar players.

I wish there was a station the just featured guitar players, there is and internet station that does, then I think this whole smooth / contemporary jazz issue would never come up.

Have you listend to:

Norman Brown
Chuck Loeb
Nick Collione
Doc Powell
Paul Jackson

and a LOT of others equally as talented?

Daryl
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darylcd wrote:
Gorecki,

You really need to chill. Step back and listen objectively. I fear you may be missing some really great guitar players. The contemporary jazz artists include some amazing guitar players.

I wish there was a station the just featured guitar players, there is and internet station that does, then I think this whole smooth / contemporary jazz issue would never come up.

Have you listend to:

Norman Brown
Chuck Loeb
Nick Collione
Doc Powell
Paul Jackson

and a LOT of others equally as talented?

Daryl

I'm guessing the same situation exists as described before, it's pretty hard to have an objective opinion on material that you've likely never experienced. Radio around here is pathetic, don't know how else to put it. Most often Smooth Jazz 105.9 isn't jazz anything. It's replayed pop, or Kenny G. You're completely right, can't create an objective view without being informed! Honestly, I've listened to samples of Chris's material and though I would have to say some I didn't find 'exciting' but not bad and some I liked. But I've never heard him on the radio. Confused
N4KMA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darylcd wrote:
XM is the bomb. Becareful, once you play with it you're hooked. I'm serious, it's like a powerful drug. It's like a new hand made archtop with an ebony fretboard.

They also play new CDs before they are released, often interviewing the artist between songs. They also have live concerts.

Daryl

I totally agree with XM being the bomb. I listen to channels 70, 71, 72 and 73. They have all the music I could ever want...

Gorecki if you are thinking of getting it you will love it. You will not be dissapointed.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4KMA wrote:

I totally agree with XM being the bomb. I listen to channels 70, 71, 72 and 73. They have all the music I could ever want...

Gorecki if you are thinking of getting it you will love it. You will not be dissapointed.

I expect I will, I'm planning on a car stereo config with it and possibly a DVD player so I can watch as well while sitting in beltway traffic as I do pretty much for 3 hours every day. Rolling Eyes
N4KMA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
N4KMA wrote:

I expect I will, I'm planning on a car stereo config with it and possibly a DVD player so I can watch as well while sitting in beltway traffic as I do pretty much for 3 hours every day. Rolling Eyes

Man if you are stuck in traffic for that long you owe it to yourself to get it. I have had mines for about 2 years or so and I have never looked back. I do not miss the commercials at all!!! Have fun finding a system. There alot out there right now.

Juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: